Discuss Female and no knowledge of electrics please advise. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kara

-
Reaction score
Hello, Please could someone tell me if I can plug this in to the mains? I have a LED strip light under cupboard in the Kitchen 120 cms. I went to the electrical shop and the man gave me a transformer. The wire from the LED strip light is in the first picture. Can I cut the plastic bit off the end and connect it to the Transformer wires : positive and negative and wrap some electrical tape around it? will it be ok to plug in? Regarding the transformer the transformer I needed a 12v, 2.5 amp, max 30 watts. The transformer has written on it 3 amp, 12v dc. Please see second photo. I worried to plug it on the advise of the man in the shop. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

light 1.jpg

transformer.jpg

No please don't do that, for the sake of safety to life and limb, please get an Electrician to install the LED strip properly and safely. Th e cable shown from the plug top to the transformer is very dangerous, take the plug top OFF before some unsuspecting soul plugs it into the mains, once again get an Electrician in to do it for you, PLEASE.

you can do that. the PSU (transformer) is adequate.if you get them the wrong way, the lights just won't work. however, i am concerned about the cables from the plug to the transformer. they are single insulated and as they carry 240V, should ideally be sheathed.

No please don't do that, for the sake of safety to life and limb, please get an Electrician to install the LED strip properly and safely. Th e cable shown from the plug top to the transformer is very dangerous, take the plug top OFF before some unsuspecting soul plugs it into the mains, once again get an Electrician in to do it for you, PLEASE.
Thank you for your advise I really appreciate it. I am going to get an electrician in and not take the advice from the man in the shop.

a feeling that I was being misinformed, and against his advice

Thank you for your advise I really appreciate it. I am going to get an electrician in and not take the advice from the man in the shop.

a feeling that I was being misinformed, and against his advice
He needs a sharp pointed object inserted into his bottom.

This has to be a joke right?
No, sadly its not a joke, the man in the shop said this would be ok, he put the plug on for me too! but I am afraid of electrics as have no knowledge, so thought I would ask the question in this forum. I am so pleased I never followed his advice. I will seek a professional to come and install the lighting. Thank you so much.

No, sadly its not a joke, the man in the shop said this would be ok, he put the plug on for me too! but I am afraid of electrics as have no knowledge, so thought I would ask the question in this forum. I am so pleased I never followed his advice. I will seek a professional to come and install the lighting. Thank you so much.
Crikey the geezer in the shop put the plug top on for you, without naming the shop, was it an electrical shop?

Crikey the geezer in the shop put the plug top on for you, without naming the shop, was it an electrical shop?
Yes it was an electrical shop and when I asked if it was safe to plug in like that, he said 'I'm not going to be killing anyone before Xmas'. I now feel a bit uncomfortable on reflection.

probably a plumber's shop. and i'd not trust a plumber to fit a bath plug right; let alone an electric one.

Yes it was an electrical shop and when I asked if it was safe to plug in like that, he said 'I'm not going to be killing anyone before Xmas'. I now feel a bit uncomfortable on reflection.
He want's reporting to his Boss for offering adcice like this to a layperson.

Rather bizarrely I had some LED down lights supplied to me with the same low voltage leads attached to the driver. First one I purchased, I got as a sample to show my customer. Then made an order for 15. Two of that batch, had the same leads, the rest came minus those leads.

They weren't from Malta neither. :)

Crikey, as soon as i saw that first picture i thought did the bloke in the shop knock that up himself? then i scroll down and see he did.
That is just plain shoddy and dangerous.. by putting the plug on and then sell it for use he has shown how poor his standards are. I would go back and ask for a refund.

Crikey, as soon as i saw that first picture i thought did the bloke in the shop knock that up himself? then i scroll down and see he did.
That is just plain shoddy and dangerous.. by putting the plug on and then sell it for use he has shown how poor his standards are. I would go back and ask for a refund.
A refund!! He want's a severe talking to

Reply to Female and no knowledge of electrics please advise. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net