Discuss ffs dust mask fitting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
got inducted on a site today and it was full ppe.

One strange rule.

you have to wear a dust mask while drilling plaster, whats odd you ask?

you have to have it fitted in cabins and they wont let you use them unless they cover your face perfectly and you must be clean shaven lol.

what other ******** will they come up with next

Well shanky, I dont think thats such a bad idea!

I always wear a dusk mask when drilling into plaster and I wish other electricians did. I've worked on a respiratory ward before and got quite a few tradesman in with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases. I dont mind getting laughed at when I've got a dusk mask on and others haven't as I know I'm drastically reducing my chances of having breathing issues at a later age.

The clean shaven bit seems a bit OTT though and pretty unrealistic!

Clean shaven is normal for half masks worn for asbestos precaution as facial hair leaves a large enough gap for fibres to get through

Dust, think the particles are too large to get through in the above. None the less, being shaven makes you look like a professional ;)

obviously they will be exempted by the PC mob, but those of us who wear facial hair by choice will be barred from site and blacklisted as trouble makers. that's how PC works.

obviously they will be exempted by the PC mob, but those of us who wear facial hair by choice will be barred from site and blacklisted as trouble makers. that's how PC works.

Would like to see a tribunal sort that one out.

and how do you reach where you need to drill as steps are not allowed?

The lads with beards or heavy stubble who had to work in areas with atomized coal dust in the air, used to rub Vaseline on the hair where the mask would sit to provide a decent seal.

Not very nice, but if your working with stuff like that and like your facial hair too much to shave it, this method works.

I'm thinking (which can be dangerous) something like a bit of Thera band an inch or 2 wide could be sewn (attached) around the outside of the mask that way it would create a seal. Obviously there might be something better ten theraband out there. Dragons den here I come

somebody's using that spawn of the devil.... predictive text. when in want to say "arse" i want to say "arse", not are not, arts,artist, arris, arrods, or any other comination you can think up. arrrgghh.

Reply to ffs dust mask fitting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net