Discuss Fibre glass steps on roofrack in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sparkdog

-
Arms
Reaction score
I just wondered what others think of keeping fibre glass steps on the roof rack.I see a lot of vans with them on the top but but I would have thought weather would cause corrosion and also danger of having them nicked.I keep mine in the van but they take up a lot of space.

As Axel says clamps are a good security device for ladders. As for corrosion well they make boats out of fibre glass so I don't think a bit of rain will hurt a pair of steps too much

the only problem ive found with fibre steps is be careful how you clamp them on your rack,they can crack if clamped to hard at the weaker end or near a bracket ,other than that make sure there padlocked on or they will walk..i keep a little pair of 4 treads in the back soley for working in domestics or nice offices,nowt worse than pulling out a pair of steps on mrs smiths nice cream carpet with steps covered in crap and drippping wet..

Why are fibreglass step ladders so popular? I can see their benefit in some industrial locations, other than that I don't see the benefit?

Why are fibreglass step ladders so popular? I can see their benefit in some industrial locations, other than that I don't see the benefit?

Mine are certainly more solid than it's ally equivalent, also being electricians I guess it sets a good example to not be standing on a rather large conductor :lol:

Mine are certainly more solid than it's ally equivalent, also being electricians I guess it sets a good example to not be standing on a rather large conductor :lol:

If people prefer them that's fair enough. As for the metal ones being conductors, safe isolation should cure that, but it would only be an issue if you were working with live cables which didn't have a CPC surely?

If people prefer them that's fair enough. As for the metal ones being conductors, safe isolation should cure that, but it would only be an issue if you were working with live cables which didn't have a CPC surely?

theres plenty of sites wont allow metal steps,i was working on a panel in a shop once and it was a mess in the leccy cupboard,tails and cables everywhere,rams said no metal steps..no work till fibre steps brought for job..

I just wondered what others think of keeping fibre glass steps on the roof rack.I see a lot of vans with them on the top but but I would have thought weather would cause corrosion and also danger of having them nicked.I keep mine in the van but they take up a lot of space.

Are you serious how can GRP corrode?

Are you serious how can GRP corrode?

I don't think it's such a silly question. GRP boats don't last forever. If the gell coat crazes and water gets inside, freezing would certainly cause damage. I would think that a ladder that was outside all the time wouldn't last as long as one kept indoors, although I couldn't put numbers to it.

If you live or work close to the sea, as I do, the issue is corrosion of the aluminium treads and rivets, in particular those that are pop-riveted. The pop-rivets suffer from galvanic corrosion due to the dissimilar materials (aluminium/steel) regularly bathed by salt-water precipitate. We find that GRP steps and ladders made by the Clowgroup, which use solid aluminium rivets, suffer the least in this adverse environment.
http://www.clowgroup.co.uk/laddersdirect.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it was more the steel bits corroding I was thinking about.Both my step ladders are Clow.Thanks for the replies I will get some clamps and put the big ones on the roof.

Reply to Fibre glass steps on roofrack in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock