Discuss Fibre optic cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

When installing fibre optic cable, how rough or gentle do you need to be?????

I've seen it chucked in with no problems. Although I would be careful..

In exchanges, they do not allow runways carrying fibre cables to turn any sharper than 45 degrees.

Treat it like any other piece of sensitive equipment or cable....remember is made of glass....main rule with fibre optic is keep it clean..one spec of dust can result in major problems.

And be careful with your fingers (and even more importantly) eyes. The shards that can break off are almost invisible and get imbedded in things easily - with a nasty tendancy to cause infections.

Treat it like any other piece of sensitive equipment or cable....remember is made of glass....main rule with fibre optic is keep it clean..one spec of dust can result in major problems.
It's actually made of glass fibre, which is different. If you step on a glass fibre cable it won't smash like a window.

You should avoid kinking it or otherwise abusing it and refer to the manufacturers instructions because most fiber optic cables have a minimum bending radius spec.

you can be very rough with it, but don't - just treat it as you would any normal cable

it's actually really tolerate of tight bend radi, if you strip the sheathing down to one of the 125 µm strands, you can tie the strand into a knot of less than 5mm diameter before it snaps

I still have a pile of ST and SC connectors, and a rather cumbersome ODTR in the workshop, along with a pen style cleave tool ........... ah the good old days

The problem with bending most cables isn't so much the angle the wires or fibers bend at it's more about the fact that the wires on the outside of the cable bend have to become longer than the wires on the inside. With wires this reduces the CSA because they stretch but with a fiber optic cable the stretching ability of the fibers is limited.

Reply to Fibre optic cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net