Discuss Fica / trade test. Fault diagnosis and rectification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all I'm a new member to the site. I am a 4th year apprentice in Scotland who is going to sit his trade test soon and I was looking for some information regarding the fault diagnosis and rectification part of the assessment. I know there are only 4 faults that will be presented to me in the test but I was wondering if anyone knows if it is just a continuity Meter I will be issued with to find the faults. Can all dead faults be identified using a continuity Meter and if so how.

All feedback is greatly appreciated
Tony

Hi all I'm a new member to the site. I am a 4th year apprentice in Scotland who is going to sit his trade test soon and I was looking for some information regarding the fault diagnosis and rectification part of the assessment. I know there are only 4 faults that will be presented to me in the test but I was wondering if anyone knows if it is just a continuity Meter I will be issued with to find the faults. Can all dead faults be identified using a continuity Meter and if so how.

All feedback is greatly appreciated
Tony
Tony Hi
A Continuity meter? not sure what exam you are sitting or what you are testing, some more information would be benificial. Wil you be expected to do any dead testing IR, RFC continuity for example?

Last edited:
Hi Pete thanks for taking the time to comment. A mean a continuity Meter as in a basic set of test lamps that test continuity and buzz when continuity is present. It is a fault diagnosis and rectification assesment. The information I have been given states
"You will be required to diagnose and locate seven faults within the Fault Diagnosis booth.

These seven faults are set and have been selected from a range of common faults.

Each fault will be introduced individually to you by the Assessor.

Process:

1. You are required to diagnose faults which have been placed on the circuits and complete a Fault Diagnosis Sheet.
2. You then need to describe in detail how you would rectify the fault.

These faults are introduced one at a time by the Assessor."

Thanks again mate

I'd assume you will also be given an Insulation Resistance tester for the fault finding as well as a low ohms continuity tester

Hi Pete thanks for taking the time to comment. A mean a continuity Meter as in a basic set of test lamps that test continuity and buzz when continuity is present. It is a fault diagnosis and rectification assesment. The information I have been given states
"You will be required to diagnose and locate seven faults within the Fault Diagnosis booth.

These seven faults are set and have been selected from a range of common faults.

Each fault will be introduced individually to you by the Assessor.

Process:

1. You are required to diagnose faults which have been placed on the circuits and complete a Fault Diagnosis Sheet.
2. You then need to describe in detail how you would rectify the fault.

These faults are introduced one at a time by the Assessor."

Thanks again mate
Thanks for the reply, but will any of these Faults require something more than a basic Multi Meter? IR Tester Low Ohm Resistance Tester, a voltage indicator with an audible warning addition, is not my idea of the right equipment to fault find with. An MFT Multi Function Tester would be my choice.

Thanks guys I've found out the fault diagnosis and rectification is carried out by using a continuity Meter only. An insulation resistance meter is not necessary as it is only dead tests being carried out to find the fault. Once again the help is appreciated regardless thanks very much

I still remember my test when doing my electrical licence.
Was a series of gpo's with faults.
We had to test each one with a meter and/or test lamp.
We then had to diagnose each fault and how to repair.
If you know your stuff ?
It is quite easy
Do not panic !

Reply to Fica / trade test. Fault diagnosis and rectification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock