• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Fiesta - non start and lack of power in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondered if anyone can help please. I'm currently trying to resolve an issue with a family members fiesta. It's 2004 and 1.4 petrol.

When you turn the ignition on, at position 1 just the oil pressure light and door open light come on, nothing else. When you turn to position 2, nothing else comes on and does nothing when you turn it to start. All of the aux functions (radio,heater,lights etc) all work. The mileage, digital fuel and digital temp displays do not come on and display nothing. The immobiliser, abs, engine management lights etc do not come on either.

So far, I have checked the battery (has 12.2v) engine bay fuses/fuses behind glovebox, and the relays too. I have also put in a new ignition switch but its no different. I've tried both keys in the ignition (barrel doesnt feel worn) and checked for loose connections in multiplugs (both behind dash and in engine bay) and behind fuse boxes but all fine.

Does anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar?

Many thanks in advance

or even a bad connection on battery terminals or earth strap to engine. high resistance coming into play as soon as you put some load on.

As above posts , just because there is 12v at the battery does not mean it will deliver the required voltage .
Before you do anything else check the earth and positive connections.

Hi,if the oil pressure light (if it is) comes on,at accessory position,you have a problem. The build up to this fault,would help. Any dash work,radio fitting,previous issues?
Who suggested fitting an ignition assembly? Has key got a coloured dot? Will brexit,ever end?

I had a fault with a 2006 focus which turned out to be in the dashboard guage cluster (camt remember what they call it). I think its the same platform as your fiesta. Mine had the imobiliser and some other control units built into the back of it, and had a dry joint on the multipin connector. I think its a bit of a known fault with them. It was quite easy to remove so might be worth pullimg yours out and giving the loom a wiggle to see if anytjing changes. Also might be worth finding the ECU and checking the looms there, make sure its not full of water etc etc.

Thanks everyone for ideas. I've tried jump leads on but no different. I've taken the ECU plug off, no sign of water ingress etc. I believe it is the oil pressure light, it's a red oil can.

There is no build up to this fault, car driven with no issues in afternoon, went to go out in evening and no go.

The keys are both manual ones with the blue section (chip?) At top.

I decided to fit an ignition switch to rule it out. Didn't work so removed and sent back.

I'm going to have another go at it over the weekend, I will pull the dash and check as poster suggested above. I'll also get checking all of the earths.

Thanks again for all of the ideas, I'll repost back with how I get on

Thanks everyone for ideas. I've tried jump leads on but no different. I've taken the ECU plug off, no sign of water ingress etc. I believe it is the oil pressure light, it's a red oil can.

There is no build up to this fault, car driven with no issues in afternoon, went to go out in evening and no go.

The keys are both manual ones with the blue section (chip?) At top.

I decided to fit an ignition switch to rule it out. Didn't work so removed and sent back.

I'm going to have another go at it over the weekend, I will pull the dash and check as poster suggested above. I'll also get checking all of the earths.

Thanks again for all of the ideas, I'll repost back with how I get on
failing which, trade it in for a Toyota. :D:D:D:D.

Reply to Fiesta - non start and lack of power in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back