Discuss Fighting A Losing Battle Here! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
What you might call a "domestic" in every sense of the word. Walked in from work to see the microwave clock flashing and asked if the RCD had tripped? Wife flipped out and started ranting that she couldn't reach anything in this kitchen blah, blah blah. Might add we're mid refurbishing it. Asked what she had done so she walks over to a particular socket, wiggles it and the whole house is plunged into darkness. Boy loses his homework etc etc. This is a double socket in MY kitchen. Surface mount patress has come adrift and left loosely attached to the wall by one fixing. The wife tells me so I take a look. Appears the "wall" is made from 1/2" thick MDF, yes MDF and one of the rawlplugs has pulled out. Took the front off and it has one 2.5mm T&E coming in from the side. ALL three wires, L,N & CPC are as loose as can be. Used a plasterboard wall plug and re-fixed the patress. Made off the cable ends (doubled them over) and fitted a new length of sleeving on the CPC as previously short. Tidied best as I can. Decided to put the earth loop impedance tester on it. This is a TT system with one RCD controlling a line of old Crabtree C50 breakers. Showing a L-PE fault current of only 49A. Put the RCD tester on it, 1x = 299ms, 5x <40ms etc. Said "I'll say this only once, the place needs rewiring!". She came back with "The trips tripping why's it not right then?". Tried explaining tripping times but gave up. And then I get, "Anyway, I thought you fitted a new one!". Yes love, in 1987! Not happy, she spends a fortune on rubbish but what she can't see doesn't need doing! Sorry to rant.

Anyway, 1966 model, bodywork not what it was and has an annoying whine that's developed over the years. Free to first person who comes along. Ideal Xmas present for someone you don't like. Finished the row with me saying fingers crossed its me who gets the belt!

Iv got a 1983 model free to a good home, House trained, Head needs a major rewire to come upto the 17th(2011)..
I ll even throw in the money tree we must have some where in the garden!! :D

Mine's a 1959 model. Run in quite well now but has taken many years of tuning so I will be keeping her

mines a 76 model quite a few fuses short of a full board.......Mattmoo if you do find that moneytree let me know what it looks like because I am sure there must be one somewhere in our garden as well.

Lost the slip for mine so unsure of the reg and it's had a custom plate on it for some time. Heater works, fluffy dice well dangled.

Mine's an '86. Compared to me, very low mileage, perfect working order. Not looking to trade in, just smug!!

well, mine's a '51 model. made in britain at a time when made in britain was something to be proud of.

i have an 88 model 1 carefull owner still have the receipt, i think i will hang on to her price might go up :))

My mate, who's just turned 50 recently got himself a 1983 model made in Poland. You do the math! Very well put together IMO. Nice round edges and modern styling. Somewhat high maintenance and he's mentioned that its sometimes hard work meeting "demands" placed on him by it..........

Seriously people I need to renew my CU!

I sold my 54 version twenty years ago at a cost of £100K over the years.

I’ve been single since and intend to stay that way! Every time I get in to a relationship it ends in a fight. OK I’m not the easiest person in the world to live with.

The one thing I will say for the 54 model she put up with most of my crazy ideas with no retribution. “It would be nice to have a house that has ALL the floors intact”!

Reply to Fighting A Losing Battle Here! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock