Discuss Filed Socket - Cracked and no switch longer toggles in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a new single socket which has failed after 6 months of use - on removing the plug the socket was found to have cracked and the switch would no longer toggle. Power had also stopped running through it (despite the switch being on) - but it did not trip the consumer unit.

Any ideas what could have caused this. It has been used to run a 13A pottery kiln. But that kiln has run on another garage circuit for 4 1/2 years and 9 month in another garage with no issues?

I have dissected the switch:

image0.jpegimage2.jpeg

Agree with above, but cut off any blackened copper on the wires before replacement, and make sure the terminals are tight.
Dirty copper, and loose screws can cause hotspots

I suspect that has been switching the kiln whilst it is under load and most modern socket outlets won't tolerate it.

How much power does the kiln draw?
Kiln details are here - https://www.potterycrafts.co.uk/Products/comet-eco-60lt-1200c-top-loading-kiln/P59240-ECO

Its a 3 KW kiln rated to run on a 13A socket.

I dont think it has been turned off while running, suspect as others have said the socket wasn't up to much - the brand is Scolmore UK - which from a quick google seems to be a budget brand. Ive switched it to an MK one for now, fingers crossed its more up to the task!

Thanks all for the replies

3kW is pushing any socket to the max. is this socket on a ring circuit serving other outlets, or it's own dedicated circuit

my a
dvice would be a 2.5mm radial on a 20A MCB, with a 20A D/P isolator close to the kiln.and don't forget the importance of your sagger makers' bottom knocker.

Clearly heat damage due to arcing. Maybe you had a tumble dryer or similar on the socket previously? That may have set it up for failure with a kiln running. As your kiln is at least five years old it could be the thermstat is not working so will and it runs hotter for longer than it should??? just speculation on possible causes other than purely a crap socket. Mk or Crabtree are pretty robust although MK have deteriorated in quality in some ways over the last few years.

Clearly heat damage due to arcing. Maybe you had a tumble dryer or similar on the socket previously? That may have set it up for failure with a kiln running. As your kiln is at least five years old it could be the thermstat is not working so will and it runs hotter for longer than it should??? just speculation on possible causes other than purely a crap socket. Mk or Crabtree are pretty robust although MK have deteriorated in quality in some ways over the last few years.
The circuit has only run the kiln and was installed in the new studio last September. But you do make a good point on the kiln condition, the coils have yet to be changed and are starting to sag so this could have placed additional load/pressure.

I think it is time to get the coils changed

The circuit has only run the kiln and was installed in the new studio last September. But you do make a good point on the kiln condition, the coils have yet to be changed and are starting to sag so this could have placed additional load/pressure.

I think it is time to get the coils changed
get it tested first. saggy coils are 1 thing, electrical faults another. it'slike old t!ts. even saggy ones still work.

Reply to Filed Socket - Cracked and no switch longer toggles in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net