Discuss Filling in test resullts for 3 Phase/which Zs? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys

I've just completed my first 3 phase installation. A 3 phase CU (Proteus) in a church extension. There are 12 x 230V circuits feeding sockets , lights, heaters, etc.

1. Do you record all circuit test results on the same page or use one page for each phase?

2. Do you record Zs at DB and Ipf at DB for each phase or just the worst values?

3. Is any extra signage required e.g. to identify which phase used on accessories? I have put a 415V warning sticker on the CU

Cheers!
Pete:)

1. record all on 1 sotr. but note which phase each is on.

2.measure Ze for each phase and record highest (if any,they should all be equal). PSCC measured phase-N and x 1.732.

3. if there's 415V there, then leave the 415V sticker on. sod theoretical, non-existent values. and while i'm here, SOD THE EU.

cobblers. if there's a PD of 415V between any 2 points, then that's the value that should be on the sticker.

the nominal value of voltage between phase and earth (Uo) is 230v - whether it's single or 3 phase.

415v would be the nominal voltage (U) between 2 phases.

Question 3, I like to see identifiers on accessories to show which phase and breaker they are fed from. Makes it easier to figure out what is on which circuit, knock that one off, safe iso and away you go.

I agree that stickers showing 400V are often not needed. the requirement is for a warning label for anything with a Uo of greater than 230, which for 90% of us electricians is no. Only once have I come across a 690V system, and I wasn't working on it! HV systems don't come under BS7671.

514.10.1. ".........warning of maximum voltage present is clearly visible". that max. voltage within a 3 phase enclosure is the voltage between 2 phases. i.e 415V.

Tel,

The "full" reg is as follows:

"Every item of equipment or enclosure within which a nominal voltage exceeding 230 volts to earth exists and where the presence of such a voltage would not normally be expected, shall be so arranged that before access is gained to a live part, a warning of the maximum voltage present is clearly visible."

This is a direct copy & paste from the latest official IET electronic regs, I have not highlighted anything, but, from this reg it can be seen that there is in fact no requirement for a 400V warning sticker as in a 3ph board, whilst there is 400V between phases, there is still only 230 to earth.

Do I fit "Warning 400V" stickers, yes I do!

On control panels I often put 400, 230 & 110 labels to warn of the fact there are mixed voltages in them.

agreed, paul. i misread it. obviously, according to 514.10.1, if the nominal voltage to earth is not > 230V, there's no need for a warning label. however, how many times might you find 2 phases in a switch box in an industrial site? not to fit a warning is, IMO, crazy. i contend that this is one area where BS7671 and common sense diverge.

You often get a 400 volt warning label with the grid plates but this can be put this on the yoke instead on the front plate so it don't look a mess on a chrome front plate. I have always thought it was a requirement if there was 400 volts between phases so will look at the bgb tomorrow

Yes that's an interesting Reg might show Mr NIC inspector on his next visit as he is always pulling me up on no voltage warning labels missing

Last edited:
I would recommend labels to grid switches where 400V exists, this also applies to JB's, enclosures etc in any 3P environment. At TP&N DB's I recommend it but do not code it.
How many people pull lack of RCD test labels where they are missing?

"Every item of equipment or enclosure within which a nominal voltage exceeding 230 volts to earth exists and where the presence of such a voltage would not normally be expected, shall be so arranged that before access is gained to a live part, a warning of the maximum voltage present is clearly visible."

Well in my mind everything should have a label on then as I have never come across a normal voltage of less than 240v....

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

PS except the 200v three phase and 110v supply's we have on site :p

Its still 230V nominal though, no matter what is normal.

Also it says 'where the presence of such a voltage would not normally be expected'

I think it's fair to say that 400V is normally expected to be present in 3 phase DB's and similar equipment.

Reply to Filling in test resullts for 3 Phase/which Zs? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock