Discuss Filling in the gaps... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this, so apologies if it's not.

At college (current Level 3 mature student) we've been taught how to chase and knock out a hole for a back box in new plaster, but we've not been told how to fill it back in.

Would that be normally out side the remit of a domestic electrician or is there a specific product for doing it. I know the can of expanding foam I used to plug the holes in my shed showed someone filling in a chase, but surely that can't be the correct way of doing it. What about if a chunk falls off when you're making a 1 gang into a 2 gang back box.

(I do have some random thoughts I know lol)

you'd normally use bonding plaster followed by a skim of finish. alternative is a product called one coat. or get a plasterer to do it , preferably before socket is 2nd fixed.

I never quote to provide a finished surface. That's either for a plasterer or decorator to sort out.
On a rewire I would usually fill all chases and boxes with a bonding coat and leave a few mm shy of the finished surface. For smaller jobs I will usually use a ready mix deep filler, again finishing shy of the surface so that can be given a smooth coat at a later date.

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this, so apologies if it's not.

At college (current Level 3 mature student) we've been taught how to chase and knock out a hole for a back box in new plaster, but we've not been told how to fill it back in.

Would that be normally out side the remit of a domestic electrician or is there a specific product for doing it. I know the can of expanding foam I used to plug the holes in my shed showed someone filling in a chase, but surely that can't be the correct way of doing it. What about if a chunk falls off when you're making a 1 gang into a 2 gang back box.

(I do have some random thoughts I know lol)
If we take on a rewire where a builder isn't involved then sometimes we are asked to make good any chases/damage . I don't mind quoting for this and allow 2 days extra for a standard rewire. We use easifill to make good, mix it up In a gorilla bucket with a plasters whisk, lay it on with a jointing knife so it sits proud and when dry rub it down with a bit of 120 grit sand paper and finish it off with a very fine sanding block. Once painted you would never know it's been chased as the finish is perfect. If filling in on lath and plaster wall where the plaster is crumbly then usually apply PVA, let it go tacky then fill with easifill.
The key is not to mix up too much in one go as goes off quick, if you have lots of filling to do.

Filling in the gaps... IMG_1231.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

If we take on a rewire where a builder isn't involved then sometimes we are asked to make good any chases/damage . I don't mind quoting for this and allow 2 days extra for a standard rewire. We use easifill to make good, mix it up In a gorilla bucket with a plasters whisk, lay it on with a jointing knife so it sits proud and when dry rub it down with a bit of 120 grit sand paper and finish it off with a very fine sanding block. Once painted you would never know it's been chased as the finish is perfect. If filling in on lath and plaster wall where the plaster is crumbly then usually apply PVA, let it go tacky then fill with easifill.
The key is not to mix up too much in one go as goes off quick, if you have lots of filling to do.

View attachment 39236
that looks good. One of the guys on my Level 3 is a plasterer so anything big I'll be bringing him on and letting him do the messy stuff lol. I was enlarging a socket at home and the thought popped into my head what would I use if a lump of plaster fell off.

"excludes making good"

Is often written on my estimates

and for outside work

"excudes groundworks"

as I hate digging
I'm not a fan of digging myself, I'll be making an alteration to my terms and conditions lol

that looks good. One of the guys on my Level 3 is a plasterer so anything big I'll be bringing him on and letting him do the messy stuff lol. I was enlarging a socket at home and the thought popped into my head what would I use if a lump of plaster fell off.
. Another good one for small filling work is toupret interior filler.
Toupret Powdered Interior Filler 2kg - https://www.screwflix..com/p/toupret-powdered-interior-filler-2kg/4911H?tc=UA4&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvffH_ea01wIVhgrTCh1WQgRBEAQYAiABEgKv2vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLH5kbjntNcCFUGK7QodzsQD3A

View attachment 39236
We use this mate, once you have filled in the chase with this, leave it start to dry abit and then use a metal flexible scrapper to take off any excess. Run the scrapper over a few times and you get a perfect finish without having to sand the walls. If it's to dry when you first start to scrap it, spray abit of water on

What about if a chunk falls off when you're making a 1 gang into a 2 gang back box

Dave,you should be aiming to do this task without ever having to patch the wall,it can be done without the need for filling of any sort

Really good stuff mate, easy to work with. Normally pay about £11 for a bag from travis Perkins. Gyproc Easi Fill 45 Compound 10kg | Wickes.co.uk - http://www.wickes.co.uk/Gyproc-Easi-Fill-45-Compound-10kg/p/138960

I'll add another vote for Easi Fill. This is what I use when I need to make good (but generally try and avoid making good if I can).

I get my best results by filling the chase with a filling knife or trowel and then finishing with a small plasterers float.

Dave,you should be aiming to do this task without ever having to patch the wall,it can be done without the need for filling of any sort

Did it today, spot on. No chunks, no filling. I know it's probably easy for the experienced but I reserved the right to feel rather smug for half an hour lol.

Reply to Filling in the gaps... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock