Discuss Film Review by me in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Missed the Eurovison Song Contest this year because of Covid? Fear not.... you can get all the cheese, all the flat notes and dodgy lyrics by watching "The Eurovision Song Contest, The Story Of Fire Saga" available on Netflix from 26th June.
Will Ferrel stars as Lars... an Icelandic singer songwriter determined to win the contest since watching Abba win in 1974...
He gets his big chance, when the Icelandic entry (played by Demy Lovato) gets blown up.

Its funny, in places.... its rude in others... (not too bad at a 13 rating) and it is full of the cliched, camp, camembert smelling scenes that wouldn't be unusual at the actual contest.

Cameo's from the real world add a touch of realism, even more so since the real thing was cancelled... These include host Graham Norton, The bearded Conchita Wurst and the cookoo Israeli winner from a couple of years ago, Netta.....
The party scene showing these ex contestants is one of the highlights, and i swear i saw Stan Lee in the background. (That might have been a lookalike)

So we have an American, playing an Icelandic... An Englishman playing a Russian.... The accents are so over the top, im surprised there hasn't been a Nordic Lives Matter demonstration.

The other contestants, and the songs are typical Eurovision entries.... you might think you were listening to the actual contest at times. At no time, however, do you hear or see the UK entry....
Doesnt matter, as like the Russian says "They get zero points anyway...." Even that little joke comes from Ferrel, who not only stars in this, but also co wrote and produced.

He's funny in this.... and that comes from someone who doesn't get "Elf" at all.

Im giving this 8 out of 10.... mostly because I do watch the contest, and have done for years. I laugh at the jokes and familiarity of it that some others might miss. They lose a point for filming in Edinburgh, and superimposing the Glasgow SECC as the venue.

Reply to Film Review by me in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net