Discuss Final Ring Test during EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dizzy_Maskell

Guys non domestic stuff here but is it true that you don't carry out ring final tests on EICR.

Or is it that you don't have to and done do it as a matter of course anyway or do you charge extra for doing stuff not needed.

I'm of the opinion of its not much extra to do it then I'll just do it anyway.

It is entirely upto the tester on what tests he needs to perform, but obviously the more testing done the thorough the report is going to be.

I have to be honest I have never heard this. If there is a ring final then as a tester I would want to know that it is a proper ring, otherwise you could have a situation of a broken CPC, or a 2.5 cable overloaded on a 32 amp PD.

Is there a reason you want to omit the tests?

i always do end-end on RFC for EICR. as malcolm says, diy dave might have been bodging and compromised the ring.

Guys non domestic stuff here but is it true that you don't carry out ring final tests on EICR.

Or is it that you don't have to and done do it as a matter of course anyway or do you charge extra for doing stuff not needed.

I'm of the opinion of its not much extra to do it then I'll just do it anyway.

Out of interest, where did this idea come from? Daz

I'm of the opinion it should be done but also worried as a contractor I spoke to once asked me as it does not have to be done you are charging for work that isn't needed.

I'm of the opinion it should be done but also worried as a contractor I spoke to once asked me as it does not have to be done you are charging for work that isn't needed.

I was always told that all tests on an RFC must be done, even on an EICR, But I couldn't give a reg to back this up,
Any other final circuits can be omitted providing whoever Is asking for the report agrees, and You can just test a sample, the size of which depends upon the clients agreement and the state of the install.
That's how I was told, but I'm sure the more experienced lads will see you right.

I believe it says in GN3 that on an EICR you don't have to do ring continuity if you have previous records and the circuit hasn't been altered, Don't know how you would be 100% sure of this so just crack on and do it, rather spend a bit more time and do what your being paid to do than cutting corners

I'm fully prepared and happy to do it just wanted to see ppls opinions as you can argue for not doing it as for doing it.
Obviously testing would be quicker without it (baring in mind it's a huge install 36 way TP&N DBs full of ring finals so the extra leg work and time etc has to be paid for but I did not want to have an argument why it's cost £x more for stuff that technically did not need to be done.

I hope people understand I am more than confident to do the tests and fully agree they need doing but if "officially" they don't have to be tested then am I charging for extra work that's not needed and so causing fraud ? Just because I feel it's good practice I don't want to be liable.

It's like I always recommend RCD protection to old existing socket circuits they don't technically need it but I recommend it and obviously charge the extra for it but it doesn't have to be done so I can't say I have to charge you for this.

If people understand what I am trying to say ?

I do r1,rn and r2 tests but not figure of eight tests. End to ends are quick and a broken RFC is a serious issue IMO. Figure of eight tests are impractical on a circuit unknown to the tester because spurs etc would give readings which would be time consuming and disruptive to interpret.

I am with the gang that test end to end on ring finals on an EICR. If you are not going to do that then why test any continuity on any circuit ? Or for that matter why do any testing ?

What you have got to ask yourself is at what point does the trimming down of included tests impact upon the requirements of periodic testing and inspection ?
621.2 (iii) confirmation that the installation is not damaged or deteriorated so as to impair safety.
(iv) the identification of installation defects and departures from the requirements of these regulations that may give rise to danger.

Your opinion is wrong I'm afraid to say yes you do have to confirm its a ring and also to confirm your r1 r2 reading

Not going to bother with rn then?:biggrin5:

Assuming you mean R1+R2 there is no specific requirement to carry out that test on an EICR. R1+R2 tests are initial verification,on an EICR the circuit is already energised and in service. It is sufficient to carry out Zs tests and as long as the readings are as expected then it is reasonable to assume R1+R2 will be satisfactory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Final Ring Test during EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock