Discuss Finally had my PV installation carried out! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GaryM

After attending a C&G 2399 course last year with the idea of becoming a MCS registered company by using my house as our first installation we then decided against it when the government started to mess around with the FiT. I then put the idea of an install on my house to one side but after considering the 21p tariff and that it would still make money and generate towards our electricity consumption along with the possibility that it could actually turn into 43.3p I decided to employ the services of Ploughcroft Solar to carry out an install for me.
This was installed today and I'm over the moon with the quality of work, considering I'm a fussy bugger.

Panels are JA Solar JAM6 60/200-250 (16 off for 4kW) coupled with a Fronius IG TL 3.6 inverter with a 20 year warranty.

pv_01.jpg

pv_02.jpg

pv_03.jpg

pv_04.jpg

pv_05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi GaryM,

Nice job - looks good as much as i dont like admiting it (ploughcroft are near me) just curious as i buy from the same supplier - did they drop your price for the JA? Coz you was going to have LG.

I think that looks really great, panels all lined up and fingers crossed for the 43.3.

I do have a couple of questions, they are for my benefit and not in anyway a critisism,

1. Why has it been mounted on an MDF board when there are fire resistant blocks behind?

2. Why is there only 1 DC isolator, have the joined the strings with Y pieces?

3. is there a reason for the 2 different right angle inspection pieces at the top?

4. Those roof tiles look really great and flush, did they notch them to achieve this or just a decent bracket.

5. Are the rails Schuco, I cannot understand why we are supposed to fit the rails the opposite way to how yours have been fitted, all the manuals show the rail on the underside of the bracket, your way makes much more sense!

6. What did they do about earthing the array frame, I always find this a nightmare? Thankfully todays had a transformer

Heres mine done today, not as well lined up as yours, however I was a bit stuck with roof undulations and couldnt compensate.

I like the way the isolators butt up to the trunking, I will try that way, neater than what I have done!

Oh and it was sooooo cold today!!!

Attachments

• 100_7750.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_7744.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_7738.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
LG were going to be provided by another company though he preferred to use a Fronius IG Plus 35 instead of the IG TL 3.6 I wanted. Ploughcroft ended up around £700 cheaper so I was more than happy to go with this current setup.
ive also bought a Geo Solo PV monitor so I'll install that tomorrow and see how it goes.

1. Why has it been mounted on an MDF board when there are fire resistant blocks behind?

Not sure about that one!

2. Why is there only 1 DC isolator, have the joined the strings with Y pieces?

1 string so no Y pieces, just connectors in the loft.

3. is there a reason for the 2 different right angle inspection pieces at the top?

Yes, the inspection box has a back entry conduit from outside (Black 25mm external) to carry the string and 10mm2 bonding conductor.
I suppose he could have matched the right hand 90 degree bend but it doesn't really bother me.

4. Those roof tiles look really great and flush, did they notch them to achieve this or just a decent bracket.

No tiles have been notched, they must be a decent bracket. The roofer actually commented on how well they fitted.

Heres mine done today, not as well lined up as yours, however I was a bit stuck with roof undulations and couldnt compensate.

Looks good to me :)

Yes, around 3 years ago. There used to be dormers on the front and rear.
We has our attached garage knocked down then rebuilt with a second storey on top and took advantage of converting the whole roof to a traditional roof.
It's a large enough area and points due south so was a no brainer for PV really.

I think that looks really great, panels all lined up and fingers crossed for the 43.3.

I do have a couple of questions, they are for my benefit and not in anyway a critisism,

I think most do this purely down to the fact that you are ensured a flat surface to mount on, it looks neater especially with all your safety stickers and your Solar PV systematics that you should have on display. Also, most mounting brackets / bolt go straight thro' anyway into the walls

What a good post. It's a pleasure to finally see a post about an installation commending the installer.

Looks good and very well lined up.

See we can do it can't we!

Also a a note to the OP it is well worth putting a data stick in the inverter. A standard USB dongle works very well and is very easy for an end user to do. It logs all the generation data and with the free Fronius software can be displayed in graph from on any pc. For the cost of a small USB stick it is very very good. We track one of ours like this.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Mark. You're all capable of work to a high standard, that I'm sure.
Many of you take the time to visit this forum to learn new ways and discuss ways of getting around problems where many other installers wouldn't take the time and just do what they want to do.

Regarding data collection - I put a spare 2GB USB stick in the inverter yesterday and downloaded Fronius Solar Access. I uploaded the days data to it last night and can see it'll be excellent when I've collected weeks and months worth of data.

Yes, pretty informative and the graph screen is good for looking at the generation shape for the day.

Also the Geo Solo PV you recommended is a really good piece of kit. I set the on-line data storage up last night and transferred yesterdays generation over. Like it!

I think so, i do agree their a tad over priced, but hey it works and looks kinda cool.

Im pleased your happy with the system, its so hard to explain to potential customer the feel good factor of generating your own power, and the slightly smug feeling of not buying it (par say)

Last edited:
One thing im going to add. A little quirk of the 3.6TL is in low light, like early morning or dull days the display may come up ERROR 307 this is perfectly normal and it occurs when there isnt enough irradiance to start up. Ive had so many calls over this!

I also have a cheap energy meter that has a CT coil clipped out the Line main tail so this reads either positive or negative, for want of a better description, power consumption.
It's strange when, say for instance, I'm reading 500W then turn on a 200W appliance and then read 300W! Still, it's easy enough to work out if it's positive or negative by what's currently being used in the house.
Both stand side by side at my desk :)

Reply to Finally had my PV installation carried out! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net