CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss finding a lost camera cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hi ive lost a camera cable in a hotel when plastboarding was done, i have a fair idea but dont want to bust holes and guess..

ive been told a bt tone tester might help me, detect through the plasterboard ????

any help/ideas appreciated

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
a tone tester might help, but if the plasterers have buried the cable, get the hammer out.

D

DurhamSparky

hammer time!!

i=p/u

-
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
its nearly 40m back, up a floor to get back to camera room.. would a wireless camera maybe be soloution??

i=p/u

-
Arms

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Exactly what you need , we use ours on average about every 2 months to do just what you need !

i=p/u

-
Arms
well its behind 12mm of plasterboard, and would 40m of distance be a prob???
it might work, and it might not. a bit like the old needle in a haystack when the needle's made of straw.

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
The over 40M might be a problem if the transmitter's only battery powered (normally 9V), as it's not too deep in the wall then s/b able to trace it and find the end. Mine's either battery powered or mains powered from the circuit under test and on full power can detect up to 2M (have a read of the spec).

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms

i=p/u

-
Arms
any you recommend?? they raange from 10-100 and probably more...
Exactly what you need , we use ours on average about every 2 months to do just what you need !

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Ours cost about £120 , but that was about 9 years ago now . ( They have come down loads now !)
That one looks like it should do the job , just make sure that you can vary the generator output or it can just flood every circuits in the CU with a signal if you ever use it to find a mains circuit , also if you ever do need to find a mains circuit you will find it a lot more precise if the whole board is off and not just the circuit you are trying to find !

Lump hammer is just as good lol

i=p/u

-
Arms
What about a wireless camera, any you recommend. I have installed a few in my cctv days but i just installed

i=p/u

-
Arms
Its too watch you.

Its another idea , and just forget the other cable in ceiling void with the other 1000

i=p/u

-
Arms
Your haqnds probably like lump hammers farmboy... No lump hammers infront of these guys

Cut a neat hole the size of a dry lining box. get the torch and fishing rods out and then when you eventually find it, blank plate will hide your terminations and bobs your uncle. Then take a hammer and introduce it to the plasterer, in the carpark of course!

T

Tidy Max

We use a tone tracker quite often but if there are alot of other cables in the walls the signal can be induced a wee bit.

CPC do some cheap options that are pretty decent. In a situation like this though i wouldn't bother with a tone tester and would definitely cut a 1/2gang hole and get th'rods out.

Wireless cameras can be handy but me and the lad at work just cut a 1 gang hole and stick the old smartphone onto video mode with the light on.

If i were you id cut a 1gang and use your phone to film inside then just pop a blank plate over, If your cameras going on that particular wall then you could use a 1 gang brush plate rather than a blank plate to bring the cable out. Just an option.

CLICK ME FOR TONE TESTERS

CLICK ME FOR BRUSH PLATES

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reply to finding a lost camera cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom