Discuss fire alarm block of flats power supply in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tom79bmth

Hiya
Just looking at a job there is no common area supply and the flat I am going to rewire, cu- board is in the common area they got the supply for the fire alarm from his board, I want to move the board into the flat, so the fire alarm supply will be in the flat so if he is away and it trips may cause problems.

Any advice

fit a 1 way CU for the fire alarm in the common area where the existing flat CU is now. just a 2 pole isolator and a 6A MCB.

Yeah good advice Tel, and to add you can buy a red board which matches your description from most wholesalers specifically designed for fire alarms, good shout Bud.

Hi,

Where I did the job last week ( my brothers flat ) they all chip in at the end of the year ( 4 Flats ), but because it's only a minimal charge and they all get on well he has never collected any payment.

Regards.

normally the landlords have a seperate meter and the Fire alarm connects to that, if it isn't the case then the landlord needs to ensure it is IMO.

Sounds more like a lash up to me!! So if the guy living on the top floor turns the lights on each landing/stairs and doesn't switch them off as he goes who's paying?? Or is each switch a timed switch??

By the way, all flats are leasehold, so there is always a landlord as such. In this case the owner of the buildings freehold Deeds!!

all the flat conversions ive worked on in bmth had a l/lords meter in the mains cupboard and the red fire switch
the door of the cupboard was locked so the noone could switch off the f/a panel
i cant see any other way of doing it

Can across this situation a few years back, were the ground floor was supplying all communials areas, fire alarm and tv amp. After the poor resident got a massive bill he coudnt pay, they put in a card meter....As you can guess when the card ran out , so did their TV`s, lighting and fire alarm. If i remember right there is a statory requirement for a landlords supply.

Reply to fire alarm block of flats power supply in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net