Discuss fire alarm cert in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bahco

right guys need a bit of advice off you

need to install 2x smokes 1x heat to a house that is rented out, landlord hasnt mentined a cert but after doing a bit of reading up found out there is a cert to be issued, now on the cert it mentions db level of the smoke has to be tested.

now i havent got a db level checker nor do i want to buy one really, my take on this is if the smokes you purchase are bs smokes then surely the db level will have been tested and found to be louder than 83db which i think it is.

so why if they are a british standard and been checked and passed would yo need to recheck them?

anybody shed any light on this?

cheers lads :)

right guys need a bit of advice off you

need to install 2x smokes 1x heat to a house that is rented out, landlord hasnt mentined a cert but after doing a bit of reading up found out there is a cert to be issued, now on the cert it mentions db level of the smoke has to be tested.

now i havent got a db level checker nor do i want to buy one really, my take on this is if the smokes you purchase are bs smokes then surely the db level will have been tested and found to be louder than 83db which i think it is.

so why if they are a british standard and been checked and passed would yo need to recheck them?

anybody shed any light on this?

cheers lads :)

yes I think I can help .You are not testing only the device,you are checking the decibell level in the habitable rooms of the house which might not have a detector fitted ,eg bathroom,and when checking the dB in a bedroom it is done at the bedhead not right at the device,furnature,partitions,doors etc all can affect dB.

Hey.

Although the smoke alarms are certified to produce say 83DB there are minimum levels required at different points around the building i.e can you hear the 83DB in your bedroom, fast asleep, with the door shut if the nearest smoke is at the other end of the hall way,this is where you would need to do your sound test.

I beleive the minimum level is 70DB at the bedhead with curtains and doors closed - this may only be for LD1,2 etc,alarm systems in commercial premesis i.e hotels B+B's nursing homes etc.

Check this out

Aico Ltd
http://www.electriciansforums.net/r...//www.hochikieurope.com/BSGuide/bsguide_1.htm

Cheers.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply mrloy

what your saying makes perfect sense, diddnt look at it from that angle tbh, so in theory if we as spaks install smoke alarms we should check them with a db tester? then enter the rusult onto the proper cert.

i dont know of one spark who has got one of the above mentioned testers haha.

looks like il have to purchase one.... you dont know of any decent ones at a good price do you?

thanks matt

Hey.

Although the smoke alarms are certified to produce say 83DB there are minimum levels required at different points around the building i.e can you hear the 83DB in your bedroom, fast asleep, with the door shut if the nearest smoke is at the other end of the hall way,this is where you would need to do your sound test.

I beleive the minimum level is 70DB at the bedhead with curtains and doors closed - this may only be for LD1,2 etc,alarm systems in commercial premesis i.e hotels B+B's nursing homes etc. Check out BS 5839 1-6 this will have all the info you need.

Cheers.:D

cheers bud :)

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers mate

ive printed them both off il have a read up tomorrow when i get time, have you got one of the db testers by the way?

there seem to be quite a lot on the market not the cheapest testers either lol

thanks again mate

cheers mate

ive printed them both off il have a read up tomorrow when i get time, have you got one of the db testers by the way?

there seem to be quite a lot on the market not the cheapest testers either lol

thanks again mate

I used to have a dB meter built into a mobile phone that I had about 6years ago,but I can't remember what make it was.

Reply to fire alarm cert in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock