• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Fire alarm detectors-lighting in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
I'm getting rid of the 2 fire alarm detectors and putting some new mains powered ones.

I'm going to take it off the light fitting in the living room and landing. How's best to do this on a plastered ceiling? Work around the joists and get a t+e through? Might seem an easy question but I've never done a fire alarm detectors before.

On that note, any recommendations for a detector?

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I'm getting rid of the 2 fire alarm detectors and putting some new mains powered ones.

I'm going to take it off the light fitting in the living room and landing. How's best to do this on a plastered ceiling? Work around the joists and get a t+e through? Might seem an easy question but I've never done a fire alarm detectors before.

On that note, any recommendations for a detector?
Are you talking smoke / heat detectors Gaz? Can you not just come off the nearest light fitting? or is your intention to form a new circuit for these detectors?

Matthewd29

Regular EF Member
They won't be interconnected if you take it off 2 separate lights, you will require a 3core and earth between the detectors

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
They won't be interconnected if you take it off 2 separate lights, you will requir a 3core and earth between the detectors
Yes I realise that, hence my question to Gaz.

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
Domestic property. It's my house :)

I'm talking smoke detectors.

Do they have to be linked?

Flash

Active EF Member
I would suggest the aico 3000 series using the radio link or smart link, they don't have to be interlinked if it is just an upgrade but what price do you put on your life??

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Domestic property. It's my house :)

I'm talking smoke detectors.

Do they have to be linked?
They don't have to be linked, or even mains fed. You have options for interlinking too with either hard wired or radio linked.

My personal preference is Aico as a brand, and I supply the 160 series for customers which have a 10 year sealed lithium rechargeable battery.

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
I want to have them mains fed.

I planned to take the downstairs one from the living room ceiling Rose and the upstairs one from the upstairs landing light rose

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I want to have them mains fed.

I planned to take the downstairs one from the living room ceiling Rose and the upstairs one from the upstairs landing light rose
If interlinking with a cable then you only need one detector to be powered as the power to the others is supplied by the interlink cable. If using two independently fed detectors you could wirelessly interlink them.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.