Discuss Fire Alarm Devices Getting Faulty Progressively in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mirfan123

Hi All,

Feels great to in the community of intellects!

I am facing a problem in one of my projects and need urgent help. The fire alarm system (Edwards brand) is behaving very funny. The devices installed on the loops of the panel are progressively getting faulty in a random order. There are six loops on the panel and so far 103 out of 763 devices have become faulty and had to be replaced. The fault is occuring only on 4 out of 6 loops.

The fire contractor is claiming that this is because of lightning strikes. I find it hard to believe because there is faraday cage lightning protection installed. Also, the faults are not occuring at one time they are happening on regular basis.

Could you please help me diagnose the problem. I have a meeting tomorrow with the client and have to give my recommendations.

Appreciate all the assistance!

Regards,

Irfan

If this is happening on 4 out of the 6 circuits, have a quick check of the cable grouping close to the panel. 4 of the circuit cables may be too close to mains cable and an induced voltage maybe throwing things out of order????

paul, that's as likely as you buying a round. :38:

I got us all a round in at Trafford Park that time, you turn next Tel :wink:

The above reminds me of an alarm fault I had once. Turned out to be the upstairs PIR cable running along side the 10mm shower cable for quite some distance and did funny things to the panel. Ok FP cable is 100 times better than alarm cable but this just struck a bell with me?

As you state in your profile you are based in Abu Dhabi now with Temp's around 45c at the moment can we clarify the circuits, detectors and panel are not been subjected to this temp' and if so can we confirm this falls within the working parameters of the equipment.

Edwards system is a module system, every part is bolt on, loop cards etc. Being Amercian, I have only work a few times on these and they are not very user friendly. Can you state the exact faults, and age of the install, this may help

Note down the times of incidents, and see if they tie up with any plant opperation.
Why does this building have faraday protection and what is the function of this building
Get an oscicoscope with senstive clamp meter see if there is any current in the shields
check the signal quality

Reply to Fire Alarm Devices Getting Faulty Progressively in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net