Discuss Fire alarm fault zone advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SparkyAndGeorge

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys, I haven't done much in the past with fire alarms but am starting to get more work leads with them so it is something I want to get into. Does anybody have a fire alarm zone fault checklist they wouldn't mind sharing please and what are the most common FA panel keys? By the looks of things there are dozens of different types out there. Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated.

What type are you starting with?
Conventional, bi-wire, addressable?
Different makes and types have their own quirky little faults.
How experienced are you in fire alarms?

Some panels may tell you the device that is at 'fault' and this just saves alot of head ache.

Others may tell you simply zone fault, sounder fault, general fault etc and will require reading the manufacturers data to determine what the actual fault could be. ( I recommend saving them as a pdf to your phone/tablet) possible psu fault, charger fault, battery fault.

I find tech helpline from apollo and Eaton very helpful.

What type are you starting with?
Conventional, bi-wire, addressable?
Different makes and types have their own quirky little faults.
How experienced are you in fire alarms?

Charlie, I am pretty much a beginner with FA's, only previous experience was running in the cables for the FA guy who then connected up the board and devices and did all the testing. We'll most likely be starting with conventional fire alarms in pubs and small commercial premises.

Are you doing any fire alarm testing?
If so, I recommend that you get your head round a fully functioning system, carry out test voltages whilst it is running and then observe voltages in an evacuation.
Once you get your head round the basic theory they are very simple, lot easier to fault find on than lighting installations.
Download some install manuals, lots of useful info in them

The first thing you should consider is CPD in fire alarm design, installation, maintenance and commissioning.

Until doing these courses I would stay well clear.

Conventional panels are a lot harder to fualt find especially if something is intermittent I find myself fitting nerly always addressable systems even in small property’s the protec 6100 is also open protocol and compatible with the 6000plus range and you use less cable and a more professional system

Would you say any is needed
To change a detector?
To change a battery?
To change a break glass?

To be sure the detector you have installed is the correct one. To be sure the battery is correct for the installation and provides the correct level of back up. To ensure break glasses are in the correct position - YES.

If someone has pushed a glass and broken it. Do you need to go on the above course to change that glass?

Why would someone call out an electrician to replace the glass/plastic?

No I agree completely.
But it does happen.

I would and do change them as either non are onsite or staff do not know how to change them.

I have no fire alarm training and just asking other opinions.

Reply to Fire alarm fault zone advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock