Discuss Fire Alarm System (capable of powering 20 sounders) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was looking at something like a GST102 but from what I can work out it can only power 6 sounders.
2 sounder outputs rated at 500mA, sounders draw 160mA when active.
So that gives me a max number of sounders = 1000/160 = 6.
Or have I gotten it all wrong?

I'm lookin for a basic system that can power up to 20 sounders.
Non-addressable and the inputs aren't really an issue as there'll only be call points and no detectors.

-Cheers...

I was looking at something like a GST102 but from what I can work out it can only power 6 sounders.

Non-addressable and the inputs aren't really an issue as there'll only be call points and no detectors.

-Cheers...
Bill (accordfire) is your man to answer that one mate. you will probably be powering strobes as well.

-Cheers...

Hi Scania

Any conventional panel should be able to handle 20 odd sounders.

I'm really puzzled about the ones you have though - 160mA is incredibly high. Typical figures for a bell in alarm are about 25mA and an electronic sounder around 20mA.

A typical 500mA sounder circuit should, in theory, run 20 sounders comfortably with a little room.

Good practice, being what it is, you have two sounder circuits on the panel, and should use both for safety, as well as spreading the load.

Yeah, I managed to find some suitable sounders earlier with 50ma and 35ma draw (the 50s have strobes).
The 160mA has some daft high intensity LED strobe.
TBH I didn't have a clue what a sounder normally draws and it was only when I went looking for alternatives that I discovered that the 160 figure was quite high.

Cheers Bill...

Reply to Fire Alarm System (capable of powering 20 sounders) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net