Discuss Fire Alarm Wiring Problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

davy d

Hi Guys.

Would like your thoughts on this.
Working in a nursing home and have found the smoke detectors and break glasses to be wired in twin and earth.
Pretty sure this was ok years ago but surely it should have been upgraded to to fp by now.

They appear to have a company who are happy to certify the system each year but as they want some detectors moved I would be responsible as the last person working at it.

Any one up on the fire alarm regs?

DD

Oksedgy34
Think I will tell them in writing that its not up to spec just to keep myself right.

Thanks
DD

I had the exact same problem, I told them it did not comply and gave a quote to rewire.
They then got a non-registered company who write there own certs and were happy to cert it, as it was for the next council inspection.
really bugs me that these homes can use who they like as long as they get some paper to show and no one checks it.

theres loads of systems with detection circs wired in t&e,it would have complied when installed,tho you cant force them to have it upgraded as its still to the spec/regs it was installed too,id wire any extensions in fp or pyro to keep yourself right and note it on complertion cert as advise cable/panel/detection upgrade which ever applies

alarm man can i come work for you, you know your ****, just 3 years you need to put up with me or make me supivisor

alarm man can i come work for you, you know your ****, just 3 years you need to put up with me or make me supivisor

im no expert at nowt mate,i know bits and bobs that get me through the day and pay the bills,like most always trying to learn something new every day..anyone who sits back and thinks thats it ive nothing more to learn is a liar

Upto 1984 T&E was acceptable only if it was installed in steel conduit, this has now been preceeded with FP100 singles.
Therefore as Alarm man states it would have met to regs on that date of installation.
Best thing ever is to always document your findings on any cert you issue (Backside covering).

Alot of Nursing homes have got away with badly installed and maintained systems for years, but there is now its backfiring on them, under new leglisations being put into place.

Last edited:
A lot of fire alarms in the early eighties in nursing homes had the detection circuits wired in T&E or similar PVC cable and the sounder circuits wired in MI or FP seem to recall the system went to fire if a fault occurred in the detection circuit

Alot of Nursing homes have got away with badly installed and maintained systems for years, but there is now its backfiring on them, under new leglisations being put into place.

Seen a lot with badly installed / incorrectly fixed FP / Firetuf cable over the years that has never been noted on the maintenance certs

Seen a lot with badly installed / incorrectly fixed FP / Firetuf cable over the years that has never been noted on the maintenance certs

This is why a full survey should be done before takening on any maintainance contract. Anything you then feel is install incorrectly or does not comply, put done on a report, Again backside covering.

Reply to Fire Alarm Wiring Problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock