Discuss Fire alarm in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi all any help would be appreciated. Been asked to sort out a smoke alarm which is linked to the kitchen door but not to the fire alarm.

I have attached attached a photo of the plan he gave me which states linked to door not fire alarm circuit. He has a 24v over door magnetic holdback which he wants to use again. Anyone done this before and what's the best way to do it?

IMG_6206.JPG

Why would you link a smoke alarm to a door? And why not a heat in the kitchen?

I'm not sure it has a heat alarm but asked for a smoke which is not linked to fire alarm. I'm guessing that means a mains power aico smoke to release the door if it sound rather than setting the fire alarm off with false alarms. Not sure if that is correct if anyone has any ideas would be appreciated

sounds like that's what he wants. normally this idea is used with fire alarm control panels so when the alarm activates, a 24V relay de=energises the door magnet. can't see how it can work with domestic smokes such as aico.

sounds like that's what he wants. normally this idea is used with fire alarm control panels so when the alarm activates, a 24V relay de=energises the door magnet. can't see how it can work with domestic smokes such as aico.
Only thing I thought was to use a aico relay base so if smoke goes off will release the door magnet. Only thing I'm not sure on is shouldn't all the fire doors close off the fire alarm circuit and doing this wouldn't release the kitchen door with the rest of the doors on the fire alarm. Also the overdoor is 24v so guessing a separate psu just for the one door is required. Seems a lot of messing about for one door and one smoke alarm

All that's going to happen is the door is going to close all the time from false activation, that's why heat detectors are fitted in the first place.

I suspect the entrance hall is a protected route and the door release and smoke detector are in place to prevent smoke on this route. It is possible the kitchen door which would form protection to a compartment opening could be left wedged open which would allow spread of smoke to the hall if a fire went unnoticed and the heat detector failed to activate the system so the best option is to fit a door mag with smoke detector.

I suspect the entrance hall is a protected route and the door release and smoke detector are in place to prevent smoke on this route. It is possible the kitchen door which would form protection to a compartment opening could be left wedged open which would allow spread of smoke to the hall if a fire went unnoticed and the heat detector failed to activate the system so the best option is to fit a door mag with smoke detector.

So would you say using the aico with relay base then a separate psu for the kitchen door only is the best way to do it?

Sounds like the best option. You should also identify the smoke detector as being standalone and not connected to the main system.

and when the door is propped open with the kitchen fire extinguisher?

Last edited:

Reply to Fire alarm in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net