Discuss Fire alarms and Emergency lighting in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

buttonmoon

What qualifications/experience do you need to perform commercial testing on alarm and emergency lighting systems?

Would 2391 be sufficient or are there other requirements?

I work with 2 other electricians who both have their 2391s I have had recent requests for commercial PIRs with fire and emergency lighting, After reading a bit about the two areas it seems a bit complex and the consequences of a failure in either system could be extreme so could anyone please tell me the usual route in these situations? We have just formed as a company and would like to start by not breaking any laws or incurring any lawsuits.

I have been thinking of outsourcing to be on the safe side

thanking you in advance for your assistance:)

Not 100% sure but I think as long as your competent and follow guidelines, such as annual discharge tests etc you're fine.

You can do an emergency lighting "course" which is for one day and covers BS5266 for about £200.00, such as the one here: BS5266 Course.

I think a course is definately recommended if you are intending to design, install or modify installations.

If you require any British Standards documents on this subject, I can email you some in .PDF format, Im sure I have everyone there is, and then guidelines for design, and testing too.

Like i said, as far as I am aware thats correct, but wait for some of the experienced system installers/testers to get back to you with an answer.

~Liberator

as above,just competent,which covers a broad spectrum,best off doing a basic fire course covering regs etc,same with the eml,you dont need 2391 and if your all sparks thats the competent bit anyway, alot of fire engineers are sparks anyway..

Thanks for that liberator.

Just as a matter of interest that isn't Liberator as in Chris or Aaron is it? Long shot I spose but an old friend of mine used to D.J. under the name Liberator.

I just love electricians, I have been installing alarms for over thirty years and have never come across an electrician who knows how to FULLY install a fire alarm correctly yet. I'm forever getting asked to complete systems where the electrian has thought 'thats easy I'l have a go at that'. Please, please, please guys stick to electrical work, I'm not a sparks but I can do electrical work, but I dont.

Dont get me wrong, like everything it is easy once you know what you are doing, dont forget if someone dies from a fire where you have designed, installed and commissioed a system then you are liable for manslaughter.

If do wish to pursue this avenue then the following organistaion is a good place to start:

Fire Industry Association (FIA)

Sorry if the above seems like a bit of rant, but after a while it does get to you.

My apologies

Kev

to be fair kev,in the pyro days alot of fire alarms were installed by sparks,and i find most of the older fire guys were previously sparks,and all the council fire guys ive met are sparks,im not saying your not as good by any means but fire was the sparks domain at one time..

cheers

alarm man

Hi there Liberator i was reading the thread on emergency lighting i am an alarrm,cctv installer and have been for the last 18yrs. I am about to go self employed for the 2nd and hopefully last time i have been offered maintenance work in a chain of pubs servicing the fire alarms,security alarms,cctv,emergency lighting and pat testing.
The past 10yrs i have worked for other companies just installing cctv,security,access and the occasional fire alarm could you help me as i dont just want to jump in, if you have any information on bs5839 and bs5266.
I have already tested the fire alarm in one of the pubs ie smoke in a can for ionisations & heat gun for heats and checked pushes and the battery backup.I also checked the em lighting they were all installed in 1998 and never checked since lot of the charging circuits damaged and the ones that do work only last a few minutes so have advised they would all need replacing,what i need to know is are there a set of service documents like the ones i use when servicing security systems as i am struggling to find these.

Many thanks
Darlo101.

Reply to Fire alarms and Emergency lighting in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net