Discuss Fire alarms non rcd protected? 25 characters in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

Im curious as to how people wire in smoke and heat alarms in a domestic setting. I know you're allowed to put them with a regularly used lighting circuit or on their own circuit...but....does the circuit that has the alarms on need to be non rcd protected? Or is it a case of it they have batteries can they be rcd protected but before the rcd if they arent backed up by batteries?
The company i work for i mostly do industrial and commercial and we wire the smokes in fp200 back to a fire panel which is obviously backed up by batteries but everything in yhe panel board supplying that is rcbo. How does it work in the domestic setting?

Cheers guys

I dont understand what the 230 volt has to do with it? Surely in a domestic dwelling the alarms would be 230 on a lighting circuit or not?
Well id assume the cables would be run through cielings and under floorboards

Last edited:
If the installation method requires additional protection, then the low voltage cabling would have to have RCD protection.

Think what Buzz is if the cabling for said circuits is extra low voltage, it would not?

[QUOTE="magnoliafan89, post: 1381530, member: 98919]
Well id assume the cables would be run through cielings and under floorboards[/QUOTE]

If it’s a house they have to go up the walls at some point!

Seen this recently in some new builds _ no RCD protection for cooker, smokes or immersion .....whether they should be is something that only the installer could confirm BUT any EICRs in the future would give them a C3 ....

IMHO they should be on RCDs or RCBO’s

@magnoliafan89
Can you clarify what you are talking about here. Your title says FIRE alarms, your text talks about smaoke and heat alarms in a domestic environment.
Obviously the requirements are different. (well, to me it is obvious - and I hope it is to you!)

For domestic.
If the alarms are interlinked, they should be mains powered with individual batteries in each alarm. The batteries can be replaceable or rechargeable, depends on the alarm.

Mains power can come from a separate circuit or (I think better) from a regularly used lighting circuit. The latter option makes it more obvious if there has been a power failure.

There's no reg about if the suppy circuit is or isnt on an RCD/RCBO but the latest BS7671 (and the new 18th edition) will make non-rcd circuits increasingly hard to come by.

Domestic heat/smoke alarms do not need the similar rigorous installation requirements needed for fire alarm systems. Standard T&E cable is used and not FP200, etc.

So long as they are taken from a lighting circuit that is often used then an RCD can be installed. The point being that the homeowner will know very quickly that the circuit is off and it will be in their interest to sort due to the inconvienience.

Most smokes will complain at you if the mains voltage, or if the battery dies.
Not too many householders spend time staring at their alarm to check that the power light is on and the operating lights flashes every 30 seconds. .

Not necessarily.

Let’s see, cabling in ceilings and floors. Use service riser for cables between floors.
Sorted, no RCD needed on circuit. Regs compliant.

Surely you don't document the route of all of the cables in a domestic setting? Just the certificate that says it complies with BS7671 is enough!

Reply to Fire alarms non rcd protected? 25 characters in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net