Discuss Fire Alarms......re-wire in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
In the middle of a re-wire at the mo........ I am putting in mains linked alarms in hall and landing....BUT! can anyone tell me if I need to fit a heat detector in the kitchen as well to conform with the building regulations Cheers .......... :eek:.telly bound to watch footy with beer

In the middle of a re-wire at the mo........ I am putting in mains linked alarms in hall and landing....BUT! can anyone tell me if I need to fit a heat detector in the kitchen as well to conform with the building regulations Cheers .......... :eek:.telly bound to watch footy with beer
Hi
The Kitchen always has a Heat detector.

Thanks

Mark

The kitchen only needs a heat detector if there is no door separating it from the rest of the house, although i generally fit one anyway.

Joe, as you are only carrying out improvements to an existing installation ,which i take it does not include the building of an extension...loft conversion etc,then the building regulations do not apply in relation to the design of your intended fire alarm system.
The recommendation ,however, is a minimum of installed interlinked smoke detectors to ground floor hall and first floor landing.
If building regulations did have to be complied with then you would probably also have to install heat detectors in kitchen and main lounge ..again all interlinked.

spark1

Joe, as you are only carrying out improvements to an existing installation ,which i take it does not include the building of an extension...loft conversion etc,then the building regulations do not apply in relation to the design of your intended fire alarm system.
The recommendation ,however, is a minimum of installed interlinked smoke detectors to ground floor hall and first floor landing.
If building regulations did have to be complied with then you would probably also have to install heat detectors in kitchen and main lounge ..again all interlinked.

spark1

Cheers for that !!!!!! yes no new build stuff in this one !

As Spark1 says. Under current building regs ie the extension, modernisation or loft conv then you have to have one in the kitchen. But if you are rewiring, for the sake of a bit of 3 core and piece of mind, I would just put it in.

Dave

Hi there,

Have a CU to change which appears to be relatively straight forward.The client has asked about a mains fire alarm.They do not really want any disruption to the property so it will be difficult,hopefully this might put them off.
Could I do it ? whats required in a domestic average 3 bed semi ,heat detector in kitchen and one smoke alarm in hall,landing and living room.Anyone give me a ball part figure.I phoned a couple of local companies and they wanted to install a intruder alarm as well ! said it easier to do it all in one go.
Thanks

Hi there,

Have a CU to change which appears to be relatively straight forward.The client has asked about a mains fire alarm.They do not really want any disruption to the property so it will be difficult,hopefully this might put them off.
Could I do it ? whats required in a domestic average 3 bed semi ,heat detector in kitchen and one smoke alarm in hall,landing and living room.Anyone give me a ball part figure.I phoned a couple of local companies and they wanted to install a intruder alarm as well ! said it easier to do it all in one go.
Thanks
What about this then.
Radio Interlinked Smoke Alarms

Reply to Fire Alarms......re-wire in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net