Discuss Fire Alarms/Smoke detectors in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

J&M Electrical

Hi guys,

A bit of confusion here regarding fire alarms in a 4 storey Building with 5 new flats. It's an existing building, and the top 3 floors are getting converted into flats with communal staircase to either side. We have been given conflicting advice.. the building inspector is saying Fire alarm system including break glass', detectors and sounders in the communal area's linked back to a panel also in the communal area, and then standard domestic interlinked mains powered smoke and heat alarms in each flat, However speaking to another electrician he has said that sometimes building control specify the same as above but also a detector in the hallway of each flat linked into the communal Fire alarm system. Do any of you know which is the right method? I'm looking online and through the books i have at home but i'l ask you lot while i[m searching.

thanks

the first method is more common. however, you do whatever your local building inspector is happy with. end of the day, it's him that signs off the job.

Spot on advice from Tel. Regs seem to be one thing but inspectors are a law unto themselves! You can argue your point and maybe win your case eventually, but who wants to wait 12 months for it to be resolved. Bite the bullet and do it .......

Spot on advice from Tel. Regs seem to be one thing but inspectors are a law unto themselves! You can argue your point and maybe win your case eventually, but who wants to wait 12 months for it to be resolved. Bite the bullet and do it .......
Building control inspectors follow the regs to the T....but most guys dont see were they are coming from....the first method is what will be requested. The inspector will follow BS5839 part 6 for the flat being a domestic dwelling (mains Smokes), and BS5839 part 1 for the communal area being a commercial interest. safety, also comes into this...by not putting residents in danger over continuous false alarms from Mr Student burning his dinner or smoking daffadilles in his bedroom...So the idea here is to keep both systems independent.

Building control inspectors follow the regs to the T....

Without a doubt they do, if you get one who knows his stuff!

My experience on the electrical side has always been that they often require 'additional' regulations adding above and beyond what is actually the minimum required. And as the 'regulations' can be open to interpretation, convincing them otherwise takes a lot of back and fro debate. In the end its just far easier to do what they want, finish job, collect cash and move on .....

Reply to Fire Alarms/Smoke detectors in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net