Discuss Fire panel & detectors system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SSE

-
Reaction score
Hopefully someone who works with these regularly can hit me with some sort of tip here. Hotel owner I know decided to change all his detectors now it’s coming up general fault on the panel. I’m guessing he hasn’t noted in & out on cables before replacing but he’s sure he did. He also says it’s an old eol resistor he has in, probably at least 25 years old! Is it just a case of taking each head off & checking voltage is same going into diode & out of it? Any quicker ways to locate the fault? I’ve installed these a handful of times over the years but never fault finding on them.

It sounds like an conventional/analogue system as opposed to addressable.
Given owner has changed heads himself, I'd first check he has used compatible units. Did he change the bases too?
Zones normally have their own fault indicators, are these lit too?
Otherwise "General Fault" suggests a sounder circuit fault.
Fault finding on conventional usually boils down to moving the resistor/EOL devices around until it's happy, including trying them at the panel itself, and then working out from that where the problem is, then checking cables can connections. Sorry to say they can be a right pain.

Thanks for the reply. Will head round a look later & check those things. Had a feeling it was just gonna be a resistor in each until I found the problem.

eol device must be fitted at the last detector/sounder on the zone. if youhave more than one eolthen the panel will see this as a fault. a head not fitted correctly will also show fault.

eol device must be fitted at the last detector/sounder on the zone. if youhave more than one eolthen the panel will see this as a fault. a head not fitted correctly will also show fault.
To clarify i was only advocating moving it for diagnosis purposes, not as any kind of permanent solution!

To clarify i was only advocating moving it for diagnosis purposes, not as any kind of permanent solution!
didn't mean to oppose your post. understand what you mean, proving panel can see eol along the line.just saying.

Hotel owner meddling with a potentially life critical system....shakes head and slaps face ?, meanwhile I assume hotel is without a fire system now, lets hope they are not taking guests in.

Kick that hotel owner in the balls then smack them round the head with the FRRO and a copy of 5839-1, 1 aside should suffice; bonus hits can be earned by listing each clause and regulation broken ?

Reply to Fire panel & detectors system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock