Discuss Fire Panels in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

if it's a pukka fire alarm system you would generally use FP200. household smoke alarms, connected into the electrical installation need just to be wired in normal T/E ( + 3core for the interlink )

The sounder circuits would have to be wired in Pyro or FP200 or one of the other fireproof cables

It is probably better that all fire alarm circuits are wired in the same cable type so that they are readily identifiable throughout the building

If you are installing FP or similar in PVC trunking or conduit then it would have to be clipped with metal clips inside the trunking in order that is fire integrity can be maintained, never ceases to amaze me how many times I come across FP and similar that isn't clipped with metal P clips or is clipped to tray with nylon ties instead of stainless steel ones

They can even be wired in conduit if it's embedded in the fabric of the building and using 105c insulated conductors. There is no requirement for the use of MICC, unless of course it's a requirement of the projects installation specification, then you would need to gain a change order, which would be doubtful in most instances!!

My take is that no, they don't have to be in Pyro, but they do need to be fire resisting; I find 3 books to be invaluable on this sort of thing. The IEE sparks guide to fire detection and alarm systems, and two BSI publications, a guide to bs5839 - 1 & bs 5839 -6, both by Colin Todd.

If you are installing in containment, such as steel conduit or seperated trunking it still must be fire rated, this is normally FP100, this is as FP200 but in single cores. Not really used for economic reasons, as you might as well use 2 core & E FP200, than go down the line of FP100 singles, but if space is an issue then this is the requirement.

Reply to Fire Panels in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock