Discuss fire rated fittings in a new build in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

powervan

Hi been looking on old posts and one states Fire rated only required if another dwelling is above IE not same property or you break fire barrier in garage ?
i went to property 3 years old! and everywhere was mains gu10 non fire rated no fire hoods Its just a 2 storey house but would this comply with building regs 3 yrs ago ( fire and accoustic )?

as you first line. generally a single dwelling is classed as a single fire compartment. exception being an integral garage with accomodation above.

i'd not be attempting to fit downlighters in concrete anyway.

Hi been looking on old posts and one states Fire rated only required if another dwelling is above IE not same property or you break fire barrier in garage ?
i went to property 3 years old! and everywhere was mains gu10 non fire rated no fire hoods Its just a 2 storey house but would this comply with building regs 3 yrs ago ( fire and accoustic )?

Internal door access to dwellings from integral garages need to be fire rated, the ceiling's consist of two layers of plaster board. There's your clue.

This is my take on it.

Part B of the building regs requires a 2 storey dwelling house to have a 30 minute fire rated ceiling/floor separating the upstairs from down. This usually takes the form of a plasterboard ceiling. To breach this and not reinstate the fire protection would be against this building reg.

BS7671 also requires any element of building construction breached by installed services to be reinstated or sealed according to it's degree of fire protection.

I will be using the above justifications to insist on installing fire rated downlights only in a 2 storey domestic property I visited today.

This is my take on it.

Part B of the building regs requires a 2 storey dwelling house to have a 30 minute fire rated ceiling/floor separating the upstairs from down. This usually takes the form of a plasterboard ceiling. To breach this and not reinstate the fire protection would be against this building reg.

So what about fire rated doors when the fire spreads up the stairs ?

Approved document B, volume 1, page 59, table A1, section marked 3a.

Andy

Have a read of page 21 with regards linings because I can't copy and paste it

adequacy resist the spread of fire over the surfaces and have if ignited a rate of heat release or a rate of fire growth which is reasonable in the circumstances

Andy

Have a read of page 21 with regards linings because I can't copy and paste it

adequacy resist the spread of fire over the surfaces and have if ignited a rate of heat release or a rate of fire growth which is reasonable in the circumstances

Its page 24 on my PDF where that is mentioned, but yes I suppose it does support the argument for reinstating fire resistance properties of ceilings.

Reply to fire rated fittings in a new build in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net