Discuss Fire rated LED downlights in shallow void in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jojay

Hi there,

We're in the middle of a renovation of a flat that we will rent out. We've installed suspended ceilings and have cut outs ready for LED downlights which I have just purchased, however my electrician has just told me that I should have bought fire rated downlights... So my questions to you are:

1. Do you agree that I need fire rated LED downlights for a rental property?
  2. If yes, which affordable LED downlights would you recommend for shallow voids? 2 of the 4 ceilings have a 75mm void, the other 2 have plenty of space.
  3. Which affordable LED downlights would you recommend for normally spaced voids? Around 110-150mm.

Many thanks!

Jo

If the original ceilings are still in place and you are putting spot lights in your suspended ceiling then you have not damaged the fire rating of the existing ceiling. You therefore do not require fire rated fittings. Your electrician will be able to recommend quantity of LED fittings as he has seen the job.

As above if the original ceiling is in anyway breached or damaged then F/R fitting required and the new ceiling should replace the fire rating or the damaged ceiling,.

Narrow voids! - you need to consult with the manufacturers limitations of any lamp you choose most have a min' clearance above and this should have been discussed long before your ceiling height was decided.

Affordable in what terms ... Up front initial expenditure can cut down on maintenance costs as well as running costs, if your not bothered of the long term savings then a standard GU10 F/R GU10 can be pick up for less than a tenner each and retro fit the old Halogen lamps to new LED lamps.

Probably too late, but I fit a lot of the Sylvania down lighters as they are a shallow profile and can get them under floors that have thin joists. They are also fire rated. The cost is approx ÂŁ9.0 each from screwfix, and I stick my own lamps in from lightrabbit for ÂŁ7.50 each which are the 4.5w 60 SMD LED GU10 lamps.

Reply to Fire rated LED downlights in shallow void in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock