Discuss Fire/smoke alarm for flats and shop in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cadspark

I have been asked by a friend who bought a couple of flats and a shop recently about some kind of linked fire or smoke alarm.
One flat is ground floor with it's own front door on the street. The second flat is a maisonette type on the 1st and 2nd floor with it's own main door via an outside stone staircase. The shop on the ground floor is to the side of the ground floor flat and underneath the maisonette flat. There is no common area at all as all three are separate but a man from the council has been round and recommended a linked system of fire detection for all three properties. The flats have tenants that have been there for years and the shop is about to be let out. I can't think of any fire alarm system that could be installed as it would require a panel in some communal area that we don't have. I had thought about using Aico radiolink alarms as they are all close enough to be in detection range.
I would appreciate any thoughts. As far as I knew self contained main door flats that were not classed as HMO's did not require a linked alarm system.

I have been asked by a friend who bought a couple of flats and a shop recently about some kind of linked fire or smoke alarm.
One flat is ground floor with it's own front door on the street. The second flat is a maisonette type on the 1st and 2nd floor with it's own main door via an outside stone staircase. The shop on the ground floor is to the side of the ground floor flat and underneath the maisonette flat. There is no common area at all as all three are separate but a man from the council has been round and recommended a linked system of fire detection for all three properties. The flats have tenants that have been there for years and the shop is about to be let out. I can't think of any fire alarm system that could be installed as it would require a panel in some communal area that we don't have. I had thought about using Aico radiolink alarms as they are all close enough to be in detection range.
I would appreciate any thoughts. As far as I knew self contained main door flats that were not classed as HMO's did not require a linked alarm system.

In these situations, a competent person needs to carry out a Fire Risk Assessment in accordance with the Regulatory Reform Order 2005.

Have a read of this: Fire safety law and guidance documents for business - Fire and emergencies - Department for Communities and Local Government

IQ is correct with his comment, but if you need to progress with this project you will need to cover all aspects incase of council demands.

First i would suggest a full L1 system within the shop areas, full control panel and full db levels.
Next cover all flat areas to LD1 with AICO detection radio link type.
use AICO input/ouput units to link both systems together giving a non latched link to both systems.

If both systems are to L1 and LD1 they should pass a a council HMO and business property requirement.

But Hey the council make it up as they go along, need any help on interfacing give me a shout

Reply to Fire/smoke alarm for flats and shop in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net