Discuss Fire system recommendations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

Firstly, I am not installing this myself and have several pros coming in to quote in the new year. A couple of years ago, most of the first fix was done with with FP200 cables to each room and corridor.

I am now looking for recommendations for addressable fire systems/panels for a 7 bedroom children's home. My building regs officer has recommended a system that conforms to BS 5839-1 (minimum L3 standard).

The electrical fire detection and warning system should the following:

• automatic fire detectors, e.g. smoke, heat

• manual call points (break-glass call points) next to exits with at least one call point on each floor

• electronic sirens or bells

• a control and indicator panel.

All that is fine but I'd like to go 'belt and braces' and prefer a Grade 1, LD1 system. I will of course ask the pros when they come in but I just wanted to know if there are any recommended systems or systems to avoid?

Cheers.

You are mixing system Categories, Grade A LD1 is a BS5839 Part 6 system, generally domestic. The wiring which has been installed would be for a BS5839 Part 1 system, generally non domestic systems. L3 is probably adequate however there must have been some risk assessment and design for the wiring already installed. The highest level of protection would be L1.

Hello all,

Firstly, I am not installing this myself and have several pros coming in to quote in the new year. A couple of years ago, most of the first fix was done with with FP200 cables to each room and corridor.

I am now looking for recommendations for addressable fire systems/panels for a 7 bedroom children's home. My building regs officer has recommended a system that conforms to BS 5839-1 (minimum L3 standard).

The electrical fire detection and warning system should the following:

• automatic fire detectors, e.g. smoke, heat

• manual call points (break-glass call points) next to exits with at least one call point on each floor

• electronic sirens or bells

• a control and indicator panel.

All that is fine but I'd like to go 'belt and braces' and prefer a Grade 1, LD1 system. I will of course ask the pros when they come in but I just wanted to know if there are any recommended systems or systems to avoid?

Cheers.
Speak with your local authority as such premises is likely to be licensed and as such Local Authority can, and often do, dictate the alarm spec, beyond what a fire risk assessor or 5839-1. may stipulate.

You honestly can’t beat advanced mxpro with xp95 kit

I do however install lots of Protec kit nowadays wich is more pleasing on the eye and really good kit but just not as easily obtainable for fualts and breakdowns either 6100 for single loop or 6500 for multi

Please avoid fike Twinflex at all costs awful kit

Reply to Fire system recommendations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net