Discuss Fireproof downlights in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just bought a few led downlights IP65 rated for the bathroom to replace some old halogen downlights, I haven't bought fireproof and on removing one old light there's loft insulation directly above. Do I need to use fireproof lights or hoods, lamps are 240V but only 5W

Follow the manufacturers instructions on that one. Usually no insulation is allowed around most of them. I think they are all fireproof nowadays pretty much. They usually have an intumescent seal on them. Any way building regs would require it to be fireproof.

A bit of a grey area. If there is no habitual room above then fire rated ones are not required.
Some LED downlights can be covered in insulation and will say so in the instructions. There is a symbol but I cant remember at the mo.
Otherwise leave an air gap all around as per the M.I.s

Instructions state "Ensure there is at least 100mm of free space around and 50mm above the luminaire. Do not cover the luminaire with thermal insulation." So looks like I'm going in the loft. :coldsweat:

If you’ve had insulation covering the halogens, I bet they didn’t last long.
You’ll also find the plasterboard ceiling around the fittings to be very brittle when you remove the old lights. Due to the heat.

This is when you remember you floored the attic and there’s now 20 odd years of memories sitting right on top of where you want to be.

Put some upturned terracotta plant pots over them to keep the insulation off them to prevent heat build up, a lot cheaper than hoods and in my view probably more effective.

Are you sure you should be undertaking this work? Do you have the correct test equipment to verify the circuit your working on is safe and suitable for alteration?
I'm swapping an older halogen downlight for a LED downlight in a bathroom, I was getting confused between fireproof fittings and light fittings that can be covered with insulation. Thanks for your concern.

Reply to Fireproof downlights in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net