Discuss First Domestic CU - Pic Heavy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SKY

Finally got around to changing over my consumer unit from a older Wylex single RCD unit to a new Dual RCD unit.
Will be using this install as my Elecsa Assessment on Monday.
My board is in the cupboard under the stairs.
Loving the snap in Crabtree busbar. I have seen this before in Ireland on a Siemens 3 phase board but first time I had seen it on a domestic.
Will fit Crabtree in future.

Old Board off and batten up
1 (Large).JPG

1.1 (Large).JPG
New Plasterboard with cut outs
2 (Large).JPG
Board Mounted
4 (Large).JPG
25mm Tails In
5 (Large).JPG
Ins Res Testing
9 (Large).JPG
10 (Large).JPG
End To End On Ring
6 (Large).JPG
Continuity Of Ring
7 (Large).JPG
Reading at sockets
8 (Large).JPG
End Of Day 1
12 (Large).JPG
Start of day 2
11 (Large).JPG
Lunch time day 2 - fitted a light in the cupboard on its own feed opposite to the ground lights side of the board.
So if that side goes you will still have light above the consumer unit
14.1 (Large).JPG
Batten up and plaster board in the cables
13 (Large).JPG
Finished - Just got to finish testing, cover up and label.
15 (Large).JPG
ZE
17 (Large).JPG
PFC
16 (Large).JPG

Have done lots of 3 phase Merlin boards in work on the shop floor but this is my first domestic.
On side 1 I have
1= Shower
2 = Down Ring
3 = Outside Socket
4 = Up Lights
5 = CU cupboard Light

Side 2

6 = Kitchen Ring
7 = Up Ring
8 = Boiler Radial
9 = Down Lights

Last edited by a moderator:
good effort but a few points
1 the grey outer sheathing of the cables should enter the enclosure , which they dont in your pic
2 the neutrals have been cut a bit too short , no slack to reterminate at a later date.
and wood makes a more durable mounting surface than plasterboard.
keep at it though :)

good effort but a few points
1 the grey outer sheathing of the cables should enter the enclosure , which they dont in your pic
2 the neutrals have been cut a bit too short , no slack to reterminate at a later date.
and wood makes a more durable mounting surface than plasterboard.
keep at it though :)

Cheers for the feedback.
Had no choice on cable length as only a CU change preferred this than crimping.
The board screw into the backing wood behind the plasterboard.

it could be argued that the cable sheaths are inside an enclosure formed by the battens and plasterboard, though.

its a nice job to be fair,tho an emergency light fiting above the cu is always a nice touch to finish off,should be standard imo then you can kill the whole board and still have decent light to work in.

beaten by quick fingers rob by a minute

Thanks for the pics SKY.
Can we have some of the refurbed incomer?

Will do tomorrow when camera battery is juiced up again.

- - - Updated - - -

its a nice job to be fair,tho an emergency light fiting above the cu is always a nice touch to finish off,should be standard imo then you can kill the whole board and still have decent light to work in.

beaten by quick fingers rob by a minute

Now I have the feed there I may add a EML.

Plasterboard less flammable that wood!!!!! He he

Great thread SKY joking aside fair play for posting your work up for all & sundry to see .....and criticise

Last edited by a moderator:
no !!
a wall void does not form part of an electrical enclosure.
detention for you after school tel .
bad , bad boy.
it's not a wall void. it's outside the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

no !!
a wall void does not form part of an electrical enclosure.
detention for you after school tel .
bad , bad boy.
it's not a wall void. it's outside the wall.

Reply to First Domestic CU - Pic Heavy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net