Discuss First ever 20mm galv conduit in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
Big day today - first time ever threading 20mm galv conduit. Basically did a load of research, put some tools together, asked some questions on here, then got on with it and taught myself. So much could have gone wrong, but it actually went quite smoothly. Did make some marks where the conduit span slightly in the pipe vice, but I now know how tight to do it up. Wholesaler didn't have Trefolex in stock so I used some grinding paste I had in my garage instead - it worked ok. Must remember wire brush and big flat file next time. I would have loved to have a go at bending too, but do not have the tools and cannot justify buying them unless a big job comes up.
First ever 20mm galv cut and threaded by me TCA-1.jpg (on its side - can't rotate it)
And the second pieceTCA-2.jpg
And the third, including through box TCA-3.jpg
I cut that thread! TCA-4.jpg yes, it could have been a thread or two longer
Thread being cut TCA-5.jpg
And this is the heater being installed TCA-6.jpg (again, pic on its side, don't know how to rotate it)

Don't normally blow my own trumpet, but am chuffed to bits with this.
Time now for you guys to point out the 'improvements' that could be made.

All in all a good job mate, the only thing i would possibly comment on would be the spacing of the saddles on the conduit.

No mate just for the sheer look of it not critisising you. If it was me i would have put saddles at 550mm from each end with an 1100mm gap between just keeps it looking even if you get my drift.

Comments are not taken as criticism, just trying to learn from those with more experience.
Table 4C note 2 "Supports should be positioned within 300mm of bends or fittings..." - though saying that, I do not have supports within 300mm of the top on both verticals :p

Looking good!
If you're after constructive criticism though I'd echo what the other guys said and put another saddle in the middle. Regs might say "within 300mm of bends" but personally I like them closer, eg 100mm. On a run like that I would have used 3 saddles if only for aesthetic reasons.

threading conduit. i have a rotostock great bit of kit runs from hand drill. threads 20/25mm conduit
and 1/2 to 2 BSP. dont think they are made now but you can find on ebay. setting machine i made my own .when working as a maintenance enginner had loads of time ,so just copied the shops unit.
and borrowed the formers sorted .still in use to day. i love pipe wok can be an art form

Only comment would be above those made, grinding paste will ruin your die as it has carbide particles in it which are harder than the material of your die.
Oil or grease would have been better, even WD40, lard or even butter!
Grinding paste will give you a nice loose thread as it will take off more material than the die.

grinding past is a nono .get the propper stuff a tin of cutting grease will last years. or the drill cutting oil i think is better .you have to use the drill cutting oil in the rotostock [apply with a brush]
as an apprentice spent my first year cutting and threading 3/4 conduit. never let loose on bending the stuff. had to file all coupler [earth con] and make wood plugs [to stop plaster entering the bush in boxes.
are happy days .

for a few quid, you can buy a tapered de-burrer for the internal end. get rid of sharp edges that may damage the cables . as said above, no-no to grinding paste, bit of chip fat is better. i use spray grease. if you don't like threading, you can get push on bends and boxes, but some will argue that they do not make for as good continuity as threaded ones. hilmore benders are going for about £100+ on ebay, when you need one

Big day today - first time ever threading 20mm galv conduit. Basically did a load of research, put some tools together, asked some questions on here, then got on with it and taught myself. So much could have gone wrong, but it actually went quite smoothly. Did make some marks where the conduit span slightly in the pipe vice, but I now know how tight to do it up. Wholesaler didn't have Trefolex in stock so I used some grinding paste I had in my garage instead - it worked ok. Must remember wire brush and big flat file next time. I would have loved to have a go at bending too, but do not have the tools and cannot justify buying them unless a big job comes up.
First ever 20mm galv cut and threaded by me View attachment 2721 (on its side - can't rotate it)
And the second pieceView attachment 2722
And the third, including through box View attachment 2723
I cut that thread! View attachment 2724 yes, it could have been a thread or two longer
Thread being cut View attachment 2725
And this is the heater being installed View attachment 2726 (again, pic on its side, don't know how to rotate it)

Don't normally blow my own trumpet, but am chuffed to bits with this.
Time now for you guys to point out the 'improvements' that could be made.

Well done, it's a good buzz when you do something new and it works out!

Remember, you can hire a conduit bender from the likes of HSS, it just depends on how often you're going to be using it as to whether purchasing would make more sense.

no need to pay daft prices for trefol/cutting pastes etc, all you need is a pack of cooking lard. 15p a pack. Unless you are billy wizz and can thread conduit at 50mph

I usually use a ratchet threader with rothenberger dies cuts really quickly. Nice job love a bit of conduit work almost makes you want to be a plumber! Well almost

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, new member of the forum.

Is "Tallow" still available ? I have been out the trade for 13 years (25 years in trade beforehand).

Dunno the bloke who first took me on as an apprentice used to use it, but there again this pack of smelly lard looking stuff looked older than I was.

Reply to First ever 20mm galv conduit in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net