Discuss First job large install...help! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Brad Atkins

I'm going to quote a job on Sat and although I have done the course and got the t shirt, I am nervous about the quote as it is a big install for my first job, a baptism of fire on a farm barn roof. If you could help me with any info about quoting for this type of install rather than a small domestic type I would be v grateful!

Take lots of literature with you to show the customer and have a good look at the site on Google Earth to try and ascertain what type of roof tile you are dealing with.

Make sure you make a check list of ALL the information you're going to need to put a quote together and ensure you get it all on the first visit.

Saftey first, barn roofs usually fagile, dont touch asbestos. that all i can help with really, apart from it's the same calcs just bigger numbers. take it easy and you'll get there.

Here's what I forgot/didn't realise on my first visits - hope it helps!!

VAT is 20% not 5% but recoverable through the business
Tax is payable on feed in tariff from commercial businesses
Planning permission is required on ALL commercial and agricultural installations.

You might also want to consider Schott panels if there are animals in the barn.

Good luck.

They have passed amonia tests and are supposed to degrade less than others. Not sure how much of that I believe but it's what Schott push all the time

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be fine - in my experience (not much in solar only 6 months but loads dealing with the public over the last 20 years on similar technologies) most people just want decent, honest people doing their job. If you don't know the answer tell them you don't know but that you'll get back to them and make sure you do.

We took the view that the first few surveys are a real learning curve and to be honest if I look back now I cringe but we've all got to start somewhere.

Reply to First job large install...help! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock