Discuss first job.. new boiler? what do i do? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nick182

Hi guys,

Ive officially been givin my first ever job since leaving college and today it wasnt as i thought it would be..

I have been quoted to do a job for a new boiler. :shocked:

can a person who has completed level 2 n level 3 2330 do this kind of job or do i have to refer it to someone else?
I hate to turn the work away.

customer wants me to do a quote for her. to be honest i havnt dealt with boilers in my training. Should i refer her to a plumber?

Boiler systems are generally fairly simple. You need to know first what type of system it is. The main systems are combi systems (no cylinder as hot water on demand), Y plan and S plan.

The combi boiler is the simplest to wire as hot water is generated by the boiler only so there is no cylinder to contend with or motorised valves. A combi will just require a permanent supply to it and a 3 core and earth to a room stat. If the boiler doesn't already come with a programmer built in then a programmable room stat is the simplest thing to go with. A wireless programmable room stat will make life even easier.

S plans systems have 2x 2 port motorised valves and a cylinder. They're still fairly simple IMO but are much more involved then a combi as hot water is stored so you need a cylinder stat as well as room stat and a separate two channel programmer to control the hot water and heating separately.

Y plans are similar to S plans however they only have 1 motorised valve which diverts the flow from the boiler to the hot water cylinder, the rads or both simultaneously.

Once you know what sort of system you have it's essentially a case of following the wiring diagram and taking reference from the boiler's installation manual. Most boilers require a permanent live to them which won't be shown on the wiring diagram and some also incorporate a pump overrun which again won't be shown.

Let us know what sort of system you have and i'm sure we'll be able to guide you through. Boilers do seem daunting at first but you have to start somewhere and once you do get in to it it'll all seem fairly simple. For reference this type of work comes under the scope of Part P so you'll have to be able to sign this off for building regs.

customer wants me to do a quote for her. to be honest i havnt dealt with boilers in my training. Should i refer her to a plumber?

If she wants a quote for the boiler install then its usually the plumber who does it, unless you have your Gas Safe an all that.

If its just for the wiring, then combis are a doddle, and S & Y plan systems are a little more involved.

Ok ive gone to look at what needs to be done and as it turns out she wants the old consumer unit replaced with a new one because shes looking at selling the place. As for the boiler she has someone coming in to look at it next week and i have passed on the advice u guys have givin me and she seems happy with that.

Can i still do the work even though im not registered with a competent person scheme and dont have my part p?

I can just notify the local building authority of the work cant i?

what do u guys think i should do? just leave it and get all the above sorted?

cheers!

Ok ive gone to look at what needs to be done and as it turns out she wants the old consumer unit replaced with a new one because shes looking at selling the place. As for the boiler she has someone coming in to look at it next week and i have passed on the advice u guys have givin me and she seems happy with that.

Can i still do the work even though im not registered with a competent person scheme and dont have my part p?

I can just notify the local building authority of the work cant i?

what do u guys think i should do? just leave it and get all the above sorted?

cheers!

If you're changing out the CU you'll be notifying that under Part P anyway so in the event that you're doing the boiler too just change the CU, test everything as normal and write out your EIC. Then hang fire on notifying the job until the boiler is in and you've wired up and tested it then notify it all at once. The notification only needs to be done when all work is complete however make sure you have test results for all circuits before you leave them energised after each part of the job.

ive got all my testing equipment and tools and im ready to go.

Do i supply the customer not only with the EIC but also recommend for a PIR to be done before hand?

If you're changing out the CU you'll be notifying that under Part P anyway so in the event that you're doing the boiler too just change the CU, test everything as normal and write out your EIC. Then hang fire on notifying the job until the boiler is in and you've wired up and tested it then notify it all at once. The notification only needs to be done when all work is complete however make sure you have test results for all circuits before you leave them energised after each part of the job.

Dunc. If you're not with a Part P scheme then you need to notify before work starts (Approved Document P page 11 paragraph 1.21)

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

Reply to first job.. new boiler? what do i do? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net