Discuss first post and dopey question in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

Hi all, newbie here. Have started a city & guilds 2330 course and yesterday thought i would put a little of it into practice. We have a switched 45amp cooker outlet and socket that shows signs of overheating so thought i would replace it with a new one. Went to b&q bought one, fitted it, after struggling for about 40 mins with short cables ( looked like they had been pulled after the previous one had been fitted :eek:). Anyway the question is - the neon indicators stay on all the time even when the outlet or cooker is switched off - is this right? Have never had neon indicators on switches before so don't know what they should do. If they should go out what could i have done wrong? Would have asked at college but it is half term.
thanks in anticipation

i think it all went wrong when you went to b & q and then even further downhill when you took it out the packet and now uve fiitted it i would say its in a ditch at the bottom of the hill on fire

as that is no help to you i would suggest you put the feed in the correct terminals and if your certain you already have then swap th econnections of the neon to the correct.................

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the replies, funny thing is i wired it up exactly as the old one was with browns (phase) to L and blues to N. There was no earth to the metal box so i also put an earth from the box (in sleeving) to the E on the back of the switch along with the 2 earth wires. Must have another look tomorrow and check that i did what i think i did :rolleyes: . Am i right in thinking that if i test it only the live (phase) side should be at approx 230V if the switch is in the off position.

Maybe it did all start to go downhill when i went to B&Q ( or maybe it was when i started the course :() Does anyone have recommendations for better places to buy.

Ref suppliers a quick way is to go online you will soon find a electrical wholesaler local speak to them about either a trade credit account or a cash account so you can get the discount, as for your problem go back to basics don't trust what is there check the terminal and the wires are wired correctly at the board and then check again expecially when you are starting out everyone has to start somewhere.

hello there, welcome! i go to screwfix, open 7 days,always in stock,very keen prices free delivery in some cases , money is at a premium, i miss the banter / personel touch of my local factor but its in/out and get on with job! b n q, fark, i got --- rap@d there once,popped in on way to job, running late, materials came to over a third of the job,yikes! good luck with your doings, NEVER assume anything when connecting/replacing, ie like for like,the old one may have been wired wonky,check and check again,if in doubt dont do it, we all have limitations!

Have been away and not able to sort it out but looked in b&q today and saw that the socket that i fitted had "load" and "feed" on it as opposed to the one that i removed which had "mains" and "cooker" written on it.
Is feed equivalent to mains, and load equivalent to cooker? If this is the case that explains why it is not quite behaving itself as they were in opposite positions, as Ben5637 suggested i have mixed up the supply and load :eek:

You got it figured right there Pushrod. The cooker in this case, or whatever else you may be connecting is the load, and the feed is the electrical supply from the mains.

I'm like yourself, in that I to have just started the C&G 2330 at college, Gloucestershire College to be exact, and I am also relatively new to this forum. You will find there is a wealth of knowledge, knowhow and helpful advice available on this forum - (not to mention the mickey taking and the sarcastic comments!). During the course of your studies and learning you will find being a member on here a very usefull resource.

I would try and avoid B&Q if I was you because of the cost. Like CUDABOY, for a lot of the bits I use I go to screwfix.

All the best with your college, and hope this helps.

David

Reply to first post and dopey question in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock