Discuss First rewire 3 bed terrace house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
so I’ve got my first rewire, I’ve done rewires before for other people but never had to do quote and make a list of all the materials needed.

I went to visit the house and made a note of the things they wanted but I’m not sure if I’ve missed anything.

I was wondering if there was someone on here with some spare time who could have a look at what I’ve got already and see if I’ve missed anything? Would be greatly appreciated.

There’s lots to consider. And a lot depends. Including
  • Upstairs sockets
  • Downstairs sockets (or a L/R or front/rear split)
  • Kitchen sockets
  • Circuit for appliances
  • Cooker circuit
  • Separate RCBO circuit for F/F
  • circuit for CH boiler
  • Dedicated circuit for hifi
  • Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
  • Upstairs lights
  • Downstairs lights
  • Lighting circuits with switches in the usual places but with 2A/5A round pin sockets at low level.
  • Immersion heater
  • Loft lights
  • Shower
  • Bathroom circuit
  • Alarms
  • Supply for outside lights
  • Supply for garden electrics
  • Supply for shed/garage
  • Wiring for thermostat/boiler programmer etc
Consider TV aerial/satellite points DONT LEAVE IT TO THE SKY WRECKERS
CAT5 cabling is better than trusting to broadband/WI-FI coverage. Telephone points.
There’s lots more. It depends.

A simple job to quote, write down everything you need to buy and hand it to your wholesaler, add 15-20% on the top thats the materials, allow 4 days if empty or 6 if occupied times your hourly rate and that is your price, I would guess under 3k if empty and 3.5k if occupied. This should be for basic pendants except the kitchen and Bathrooms where I would allow LED spot lights with the correct voltage for the area. If the customer wants flashy kit then the costs could escalate to the sky.

Especially if (and they will) change their mind half way through the job.
Good shout, and one thing I forgot to mention was patching up, I always told the customer to get their own plasterer in.

Make sure your quote states stage payments

Make sure you have PL insurance

Make sure your CPS is current

Have thick skin ....

There will be loads of bits you won't have thought about, and changes requested by the customer .... Make sure you charge for them

It’s a friend of a friend, she’s requested she wants everything to be as cheap as possible and all white plastic. Every room she wants a pendant (apart from bathroom and kitchen obviously) she’s moving out for 4 days but the house won’t be empty.

So I’ve started making a list. I wasnt sure if there were things I’ve missed off for example I forgot to check the power of the shower. I need to go back and check a couple of things. I’ve always worked for someone and this just come up.

When you have a price for materials, labour etc add £100 on for the bits you will surely miss out, or suddenly need during the job, If you are really good and dont need it, you could always reduce the quote slightly to reflect the £100, making you look good in there minds.

count up the number of "standard " points ( sockets,pendants. light switches ). price @ £60 per point. (maybe a bit more or less). cooker or shower- up it to £80 -£90 per point (6.0mm or 10.0mm cable). cost any fancy fittings and add to your point pricing. then add CU @ £300-£400 depending on size of CU and whether it's dual RCD or all RCBO. then add 20% for snags and changes that take a bit more time. don'tforget to negotiate a price for extras the customer decides on.

It’s a friend of a friend, she’s requested she wants everything to be as cheap as possible and all white plastic. Every room she wants a pendant (apart from bathroom and kitchen obviously) she’s moving out for 4 days but the house won’t be empty.

So I’ve started making a list. I wasnt sure if there were things I’ve missed off for example I forgot to check the power of the shower. I need to go back and check a couple of things. I’ve always worked for someone and this just come up.
Don’t make the switches and sockets to cheap mate cos you’ll be getting the call backs (months down the line) if they fail, and 4 days in a house with furniture and carpets is pushing it a bit imo....unless your surface mounting are you?

4 days ................. good luck with that.
I agree, again. You'll need a couple of blokes moving the furniture around. I'll bet she won't empty the wardrobes, or anything.
Then you'll need to roll back the carpets, to get at cable runs. Who's going to put that back.

And she'll love the mess the plasterer will make of the place making good.

Some years ago, I made a rule that I wouldn't take on rewires if teh house wasn't empty. I know its tempting to take on anything that comes along, when you are starting out, but you will wish you hadn't...

No not surface, was going to go for long days fri chase where needs chasing with 3 guys and maybe start wiring, Saturday wire with 4 guys, Sunday connect with 3 guys then test Monday.

Only free weekend I’ve got for a while and she wants it done ASAP. Don’t suppose anyone wants to help haha

I dunno you guys.

Someone posts on here how to wire up a cooker, or what size cable for this hot tub, and you'll all over them like a rash, where's you calculations, why can't you work it out for yourself etc etc.

Someone ask how much to quote for a rewire, and your falling over yourselves, giving the answers, AND on an open forum, not even in the Arms.

Tut-tut :p

Reply to First rewire 3 bed terrace house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock