Discuss First thread from Newbie on SWA termination in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Paul Willoughby

I am supplying my garage with power, using a 6mm SWA cable it is 18m from the main CU.
I am digging a trench and following all 17th edition guidelines.
I was originally going to come off of the main CU using a 32a RCBO off of the main switch into an rcd protected 2 way (6a and 20a) unit in the garage.

My issue is that my CU is in the hall and I do not want the SWA terminated through the bottom of the CU as it will look unsightly.
Can i terminate the SWA on the other side of the wall in a termination box (henley block), then bring the connection to the RCBO through the wall with twin and earth.

If so can you recommend a termination box that meets 17th edition guidelines.

Thank you for your help

you have a couple of options.

1. fit an adaptable box adjacent to CU and gland SWA in that, leaving the tails long to reach into CU ( if plastic box, you will need to earth the gland with banjo and fly lead.

2. Fit IP rated ad. box outside and as you said got from CU in T/E and join to SWA in box.

What earthing system are you using, exporting the house earth, or rodding at garage? are you using 3 core SWA? if so don't forget the armour needs to be earthed even if not used as cpc.

Lastly, forget the RCBO unless the feed from the CU needs RCD protection. you don't want 2 RCDs inn series.

Thanks for your advice so far, Just a quick question.

I am also looking to run power to my shed / office at the back of my garden, so would I be better from the start to split the existing tails from the meter, put in a henley block then supply tails to the existing Main CU and put another smaller metal CU supplied from the henley block to supply both front garage and back shed (this will be in the cupboard with the supply out of sight.
Then i can just terminate both SWA's directly into this second CU in 32a MCB's

Cheers Paul

I am supplying my garage with power, using a 6mm SWA cable it is 18m from the main CU.
I am digging a trench and following all 17th edition guidelines.
I was originally going to come off of the main CU using a 32a RCBO off of the main switch into an rcd protected 2 way (6a and 20a) unit in the garage.

My issue is that my CU is in the hall and I do not want the SWA terminated through the bottom of the CU as it will look unsightly.
Can i terminate the SWA on the other side of the wall in a termination box (henley block), then bring the connection to the RCBO through the wall with twin and earth.

If so can you recommend a termination box that meets 17th edition guidelines.

Thank you for your help

With regard to a suitable enclosure. Go into local wholesaler, explain what it is you need, and he will sort you out for not a lot of cash. Its all about the IP rating, and if my memory serves me right it will be IP65 if its for outside, and IPXXD if its inside, but i am not off to look in the regs to check, cos its pub time.

Cheers...............Howard

Have just taken and passed part p and 17th edition exams, am going to use this job and a consumer unit change as my jobs for my assessment with ELECSA. Have informed LBC and are happy to waive fee.

Thanks for all help on this one chaps.

Have just taken and passed part p and 17th edition exams, am going to use this job and a consumer unit change as my jobs for my assessment with ELECSA. Have informed LBC and are happy to waive fee.

Thanks for all help on this one chaps.

In that case, good luck with the assessment. :party:
I do hope you have more training under your belt than just part p and 17th edition tho :)

In that case, good luck with the assessment. :party:
I do hope you have more training under your belt than just part p and 17th edition tho :)

I doubt it, ...That's about the standard these days, for both training centers and the so-called part P service (scam) providers competency level requirement!!

On the "jobs for the assessment" you've decided to undertake a task which is suitably difficult and will mean that the assessor will be able to assess a number of your skills.

Good luck!

I Like what Tel has said , the only alteration i would make is to use a galve through box and run a seperate earth to it smaller than an adaptable box and looks alot neater appart from that same as Tel

Reply to First thread from Newbie on SWA termination in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock