Discuss FIT application, whose responsibility? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been contacted by a couple who had pv installed back in November. The company who fitted them failed to a) make a FIT application on their behalf and b) failed to advise them on how to make the application themselves. They are still without a FIT contract when they should have been on 43p. Does anyone think that they have any redress with the installation company for not advising them correctly?

It all depends on what is written in the contract they signed.
It is normally the customers responsibility to arrange the FIT contract, however most of us either help the customer or do it for them, it would be very doubtful if they have any redress but why have they left it for a year anyway?

They thought the application would happen automatically so it was several months before they started asking questions. When they finally realised what had happened, in April, an EPC was required, however they had begun a complete house refurbishment by then so couldn't get the 'D' rating. They are only now in a position to acquire the EPC and register for 15.5p/kwhr FIT rate. Bit of a mare really.

Is the installation company still trading?
They have nothing to loose by having a pop at them, not that it is going to get them anywhere but may be worth a try, even if they could get some sort of refund it may help soften the blow a little.
Just to add, you do not have to use your energy provider as your FIT provider, most people have found Good Energy to be very helpful as a FIT provider.
Also there is a thread under "sticky" as to what is required to obtain your FIT, you may find that useful too.
I hope this helps.

Agree with Earthstore.

Customer's responsibility generally speaking. It's their electricity from their panels to do with as they wish. If they wish to claim the FiT, they have to complete and sign the correct paperwork and send to a FiT provider.
The installer may give informal advice but that's all it is unless the contract says differently (which it probably won't).

ill be honest i know its the customers responsibility but some should fall on the installers shoulders, id even go as far as it should be the installers part of the over all process its a bloody nightmare to fill out for me let alone a customer. ive fillled them in with the customers at the kitchen table with a lovely cuppa to go with it, nothing is more simpler for you and them to do it together.

had one the other day rang me up saying EDF didn't receive there FIT documents, i felt terrible luckily found the files in my email sent folder with a read receipt to boot. they got the 43p but denied having received it until i found the read receipt.

I always send mine via email then get the customers to call the Supplier following day.

Saying that its just part of the service but It is really down to the customers to make sure the are registered for fits anyway.

most people have found Good Energy to be very helpful as a FIT provider.

I've had the most awful experience with 6 of my customers with Good Energy, I'm still waiting for them to sort one of the jobs out for me. Wouldn't recommend them at all, they are lovely on the phone but have let down every one of my customers that I've sent through.

I've had the most awful experience with 6 of my customers with Good Energy, I'm still waiting for them to sort one of the jobs out for me. Wouldn't recommend them at all, they are lovely on the phone but have let down every one of my customers that I've sent through.

I am sorry to here that, all of mine with them have been perfect, even in the rush last year.
I can only speak as I find, and I am aware that you have only done the same.

My point to the OP was that you can use any FIT provider, you do not have to use your energy supplier.

Reply to FIT application, whose responsibility? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net