Discuss Fitting 240V 32A commando in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

swc

-
Reaction score
Hi we have a welder which can pull upto 32A according to the spec. It says I(max) 32A.
The circuit to the garage has a 16A MCB at the consumer unit. It's only powering two double sockets however am going to add a commando. So I wondering if 32A MCB would sufficient or would it have to be bigger?

Also there's a local RCD within the garage that 27Amp. Would I not need bigger since it could be switching upto 32Amp? Would I not blow the relay inside the RCD?

The RCD in the garage is just an RCD on it's own with an IP rated casing. It's protecting the sockets on the wall. If I remember correctly the regs says every outdoor socket must be protected by an RCD. So do I buy another RCD unit (an RCD on it's own) or could I use the same one?

I'm currently studying the 2330 but they don't start teaching consumer units properly till level3. Hence why I need some advice. Am told by my lecturer, fitting a commando is the same as a normal 13Amp socket.

I live in the UK.

The cable feeding the garage looks like it's swa cable but am not sure if it's 2.5mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
you would need to check the current carrying capacity and installation method of the cable supplying the garage - you can not just up the capacity of an mcb as it may no longer protect the cable :)

I don't think am qualified yet to do this so I'm going leave it to our spark. But just out of curiousity, am I not correct the current capacity depends on the length of cable and the thickness of the cable. I just measured up it's half an inch thick so I'm guessing it's 1.5 instead of 2.5.

even 2.5mm is not sufficient for a 32A load. you need at least 6mm on a 40A MCB ( supply end ) just for your 32Asocket. add the other loads likely and you're looking at uprating the supply cable to 10mm or 16mm.

Reply to Fitting 240V 32A commando in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net