Discuss Fitting a brake resistor to a VSD in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GNEL

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello, i currently have a small project where i am required to fit a brake resistor to a vsd. i dnt no an awful lot on this subject. can anyone give me an explanation?

cheers
G

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
G

Guest123

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey mate.

I believe brake resistors are used to dissapate the heat generated in the DC links under" hard" or "fast" braking of the VSD controlled motor.

As for fitting one I wouldn't be able to explain it without actually viewing the setup myself.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cossiemong

alright mate
what kind of drive r u fitting it to, and how big is the drive?

S

sparky123

Brake resistors are used to prevent the DC Bus voltage of the drive, exceeding a preset value during the ramp down or the decel period.
Brake resistors tend to be used when you have a fairly large load that requires a fairly fast deceleration rate, without this resistor the drive may trip on an overvoltage fault during decel, this could, dependent on the application cause a safety issue should this drive trip has you will lose control of the motor during ramp down, would like to know more about the application.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Reply to Fitting a brake resistor to a VSD in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom