Discuss Fitting a dual coin meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum and just have a quick question. I have a domestic washing machine and a domestic separate tumble dryer both new in a new rewired house. The house has been converted into a hmo and now want to install a coin metered machine to the machines. There is a company that does a dual one (they wont provide any electrical wiring advice), I was taking a spur from an existing ring main (32A) protected by an RCD at the board. My question is, whats the best way to do this? Is it possible? Will it trip if both washer and dryer on at the same time? Any advice would be great as I have asked a few electricians and all answers different. Thanks

Hi I am new to this forum and just have a quick question. I have a domestic washing machine and a domestic separate tumble dryer both new in a new rewired house. The house has been converted into a hmo and now want to install a coin metered machine to the machines. There is a company that does a dual one (they wont provide any electrical wiring advice), I was taking a spur from an existing ring main (32A) protected by an RCD at the board. My question is, whats the best way to do this? Is it possible? Will it trip if both washer and dryer on at the same time? Any advice would be great as I have asked a few electricians and all answers different. Thanks
The 13 Amp fuse in the Fused spur may blow when both machines are running at the same time.

Aside from the safety issues that could be overcome with proper design and installation, a coin meter would only work on KWH usage so would either cut out part way through a cycle or leave an excess in the meter for the next user.

Probably not great for the machines or the tenants.

We fitted coin operated machines in a small block of flats, the coin meter was linked to the door interlocks of a standard washing machine and tumble dryer, but I forget the mode of operation.

The 13 Amp fuse in the Fused spur may blow when both machines are running at the same time.
Hi thanks for the reply. Another company have now suggested a switched 5A fused spur for single coin machines. so one for the washing machine and one for the tumble dryer. Ive attached the instruction's. That's what I read it as. The spurs will be from an existing 32A ring main as I said. Protected by RCD. Think these will be ok? Again thanks for all of your responses.

Attachments

• Wyvern (STD) Timer Booklet Iss 5.pdf
    731.6 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Fitting a dual coin meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock