Discuss Fitting a fused spur Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

m1ke

Hello,

I currently fit CCTV and I'm looking for a course in the birmingham area ideally in the evening or weekend were I can learn to legally fit a fused spur to conform with Part P reg's looking on line it looks like I have to pass power wiring level C if someone can confirm if this is right?

Thanks

It's not just a question of attending a course to be able to legally install an FCU, but that you have to register and join a Part P scheme.
As such, the qualification you would require is whatever is acceptable for whichever scheme you intend joining.
You should also be aware, that only work in kitchens, special locations or outdoors, or the provision of a new circuit or the replacement of a Consumer Unit in domestic premises requires notification.
If you do not intend installing an FCU outdoors, in a kitchen or special location, then you do not require to be Part P registered or make notification.

First post, so hello. ;)

If you do not intend installing an FCU outdoors, in a kitchen or special location, then you do not require to be Part P registered or make notification.

But none-notifiable work still requires a Minor Works Certificate, so if you're not Part P registered then surely you can't issue a legal Cert?

he can issue a MWC as long as he is competent to install his FCU and to test the circuit and complete the cert. as spinlondon says, as long as it's not in a special location and not a new circuit, it's not notifiable under part poo.

due to the cost of buying test gear, cert. forms, etc. it may be more economical for you to pay a spark to install the FCU for you, and factor that into your price to the client.

he can issue a MWC as long as he is competent to install his FCU and to test the circuit and complete the cert. as spinlondon says, as long as it's not in a special location and not a new circuit, it's not notifiable under part poo.

Forgive me for asking what is probably a stupid question, but you do not need to be registered to issue MWC (if the work's not in a special location) and you're Part P qualified/competent?

Forgive me for asking what is probably a stupid question, but you do not need to be registered to issue MWC (if the work's not in a special location) and you're Part P qualified/competent?

You dont need to be registered with a scheme provider to issue a MWC, you must be competent to carry out the istallation and testing of the installation.
If the work is being carried out in a loaction defined by part P as a special location or its a new circuit then you will need to notify this work, you still need not belong to a scheme to do this as you could just contact the building control of the council.
Part P is not a qualifictaion its a building regulation that must be adhered too when carrying work out in the special locations (or installing new circuits) defined within it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Fitting a fused spur Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock