Discuss fitting a smart light switch for toilet in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cs5383

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope someone can help. i'm trying to fit a smart light switch to replace my current one for the toilet (1 gang), but i'm having issues with the wiring. you'll have to bear with me as i'm not an electrician so only have basic knowledge :( the current light switch seems to be an intermediate switch, but is not attached to any other switch or extractor that I can tell, so when i'm trying to fit a smart light switch I don't have enough points to connect the wires too ( L1,L2,L3) if that makes sense, i've attached photos of my current light switch in hopes that explains things a bit better

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• light switch.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 18
i think that's a double pole switch, probably 1 side for the light and 1 side for the fan.??? in which case you won't have a neutral there. can't tell from the pic.is 1 of those browns a link across the top 2 terminals?

i think that's a double pole switch, probably 1 side for the light and 1 side for the fan.??? in which case you won't have a neutral there. can't tell from the pic.is 1 of those browns a link across the top 2 terminals?
hey, thanks for getting back to me, none of the terminals are linked, and there is no extractor fan in the toilet( downstairs one) its the same for the ensuite and master bathroom as well. which is confusing me.

think you'd be best off calling an electrician. it's unusual.

A wider shot of the back of the switch showing the box in the wall may help.
Is there a joint in the back box? There may be a neutral there too.
Too many brown cores to understand what’s what

I’ve seen this where the run on timer element of a fan was back feeding slightly down the switchwire, causing a very slight glow on the 12v halogen downlights if I recall. The dp switch separated the fan switch wire from the lighting switch wire.

Reply to fitting a smart light switch for toilet in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net