Discuss Fitting a WiFi smart dimmer in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

King Ming

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new here.

I’m in the UK.

I bought this:

Smart Touch Switch No Neutral Line 1/2/3 Gang Wifi RF 433Mhz Light Switch with Garage Door Remote Control Wireless Panel Switch

Tried to fit it just now, and it doesn’t look like a like-for-like swap, that’s for sure.

Took some pics, including of the installation guide. Seems to be needing a neutral after all, even though I specifically chose one that doesn’t need a neutral.

Attachments

• 914B06D7-D37F-418F-B0B9-47407F45A5E5.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 18
  • B48CDC10-451A-4B2B-9BD6-EE46016FCD9C.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 18
  • A2F85F84-92E6-41E9-AF9A-74269402A59F.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 19
it does not need a N. the N you see on the instructions goes direct to the light/s. that will already be in place.
you seem to have a switch for 2 lights. L is Lin and L1/L3 are each for a light.

And you don't need the brown link that's between the 2 old switches.

Solid Red = L on the new switch
Brown in L1 = L1 on the new switch
Black with Red sleeve = L2 on new switch

Thanks, both of you. What you have explained now makes perfect sense. I will try again tomorrow and post back the results. Many thanks!
[automerge]1585682277[/automerge]
So.. update:

I fitted it, it worked! But..... it’s faulty.

basically, all wired and paired, switch on one set of lights, works. Switch it off, works. Switch on the next light, works... but then it won’t switch off. Back to the first set of lights, not turning on either now.

power cycled, deleted and reinstalled... same results. Maybe it’s faulty, maybe it doesn’t like the LED dimmables i have. No idea.

such an anti climax. :(

Last edited:
These smart switches that work without a neutral, function by not completely turning the lamp off completely, just enough to stop the lamp glowing.

Some manufacturer's will give a compatibility list of suitable lamps, like LightWave for example.

These smart switches that work without a neutral, function by not completely turning the lamp off completely, just enough to stop the lamp glowing.

Some manufacturer's will give a compatibility list of suitable lamps, like LightWave for example.

thank you, that’s really helpful. I’ll do some research.

When the wifi goes down (e.g. the router looses power), do you have to sit in the dark till it is fixed? Or is there some manual override?

I just registered on this forum to ask a question about a new switch that does require a neutral, I didn't realise there are smart switches that don't require a neutral.

How does it have any power in order to function (i.e. power the wifi component etc.)?? I'm confused. I'm not an electrician, but I thought a live and neutral was required for a device to receive power.

SJD - It's not just wifi, typically there are touch controls on the actual switch.

When the wifi goes down (e.g. the router looses power), do you have to sit in the dark till it is fixed? Or is there some manual override?
The Hue lamps etc ones I have will stay on, if WiFi is lost and lamps were on. The latest lamps also have Bluetooth capability, probably for that reason.

Reply to Fitting a WiFi smart dimmer in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net