Discuss Fitting an 'APT Timer' to a dual Immersion Heater in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

An-Tarabh

EF Member
Hi there, I'm looking for some advice regarding the above, I have a very basic type 'on/off sink/bath' switch on my copper cylinder immersion heater, I want to ad a very basic timer as mentioned above i.e. the mechanical dial types that have push/pull pins etc. the instructions that come with the timer I have attached..........my question is there are two 'live wires' (brown & Black) going to the elements in the immersion, from diagram 2 on the attached can both the 'live wires' be wired/connected into the same terminal in the timer....?

Wiring Diagram.jpg

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
If you have switch that says sink/bath you probably have a dual element immersion heater. Which element do you want timed?

OP
A

An-Tarabh

EF Member
If you have switch that says sink/bath you probably have a dual element immersion heater. Which element do you want timed?
yes I have one that says sink bath, do I just select which one I want to put on timer and wire it/connect it to the terminal, if so what do I do with the other wire......?

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
Your timer requires a permanent mains feed, so the only place that you can put it is in the mains feed to the bath/sink switch.
Then the timer will switch on and off the immersion you have selected with the bath/sink switch.

Is that what you want?

Risteard

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
As above, it has to go before the bath/sink switch. As you are in Ireland you should consider getting a REC to do this.

Bear in mind that this cannot go in the hot press - if your installation is a number of years old then that is likely where the current immersion switch is. Also an immersion heater needs to be RCD protected.

If in any doubt consult a REC.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • Black

Votes: 30 33.7%

Electrician Talk