• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Fitting an APT timer to Dual Immersion heater in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice regarding the above, I have a very basic type 'on/off sink/bath' switch on my copper cylinder immersion heater, I want to ad a very basic timer as mentioned above i.e. the mechanical dial types that have push/pull pins etc. the instructions that come with the timer I have attached..........my question is there are two 'live wires' (brown & Black) going to the elements in the immersion, from diagram 2 on the attached can both the 'live wires' be wired/connected into the same terminal in the timer....?

Wiring Diagram.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Many thanks for taking time to look at this, It basically as per picture above in bottom LHS of the attached picture, I will have a switch (on/off) supplied from 3 core mains (live/neutral & earth) and then the timer supplied by the live/neutral/earth, next is where I'm a bit confused, I have 4 wires coming out of the immersion (2 x live coloured black and brown, Neutral (blue) and earth but there are only three terminals in the timer..........I'll try and sketch up something better later.

Taylortwocities

-
Arms
Esteemed
As I think you have been advised, elesewhere. The timer will need a permanent live or it wont time!
The only place you could have this is in the permanent live before the sink/bath switch. You would need to decide which immersion you want to have the timer on (sink, or bath).

Dont forget, in bath mode you are heating the whole tank, when in sink mode you are only heating the top part of the tank.
Would that work for you?

Duplicate thread see following link. Closing thread.

Reply to Fitting an APT timer to Dual Immersion heater in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom