Discuss Fitting an APT timer to Dual Immersion heater in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking for some advice regarding the above, I have a very basic type 'on/off sink/bath' switch on my copper cylinder immersion heater, I want to ad a very basic timer as mentioned above i.e. the mechanical dial types that have push/pull pins etc. the instructions that come with the timer I have attached..........my question is there are two 'live wires' (brown & Black) going to the elements in the immersion, from diagram 2 on the attached can both the 'live wires' be wired/connected into the same terminal in the timer....?

Wiring Diagram.jpg

Many thanks for taking time to look at this, It basically as per picture above in bottom LHS of the attached picture, I will have a switch (on/off) supplied from 3 core mains (live/neutral & earth) and then the timer supplied by the live/neutral/earth, next is where I'm a bit confused, I have 4 wires coming out of the immersion (2 x live coloured black and brown, Neutral (blue) and earth but there are only three terminals in the timer..........I'll try and sketch up something better later.

As I think you have been advised, elesewhere. The timer will need a permanent live or it wont time!
The only place you could have this is in the permanent live before the sink/bath switch. You would need to decide which immersion you want to have the timer on (sink, or bath).

Dont forget, in bath mode you are heating the whole tank, when in sink mode you are only heating the top part of the tank.
Would that work for you?

Duplicate thread see following link. Closing thread.

Reply to Fitting an APT timer to Dual Immersion heater in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net